DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Need some help....Deshaker in Vegas 8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/122236-need-some-help-deshaker-vegas-8-a.html)

Simon Denny May 23rd, 2008 03:21 AM

Need some help....Deshaker in Vegas 8

Hi all.
I have some footage taken in a truck and it needs deshaker to try and fix, or at least help the problem.
I use Vegas pro 8 and this is what i need help with?
Because the deshaker script will not work in Vegas, I have to render out my HD footage to an AVI file and then open Virtual Dub etc...
When i convert the HD footage to an AVI file, what is the best codec to use within Vegas 8?

Sony YUV codec.
Uncompressed.
Pal DVD Widescreen
Sony 10bit YUV codec. THE LIST GOES ON
Anyone have a suggestion.

What i'm after is to convert HD to SD AVI with no loss of pitcure quality other than HD to SD.

Anyone have a good workflow they would share? and while i'm at it, a workflow setting with deshaker?

Cheers
Simon

Marcus Marchesseault May 23rd, 2008 05:36 AM

I am interested in this answer from more experienced people with this workflow. I intend to export for interpolative slow motion software.

For image stabilization, I am using Mercalli from Prodad. Search these forums to learn about this plugin for Vegas. It was $120US when I bought it a few weeks ago. It seems to do a good job and being a plugin makes it very easy to use. If there was an interpolative slow motion plugin, I would use that instead of transcoding to .avi format.

Edward Troxel May 23rd, 2008 06:35 AM

If you're using VirtualDub, there's a script floating around that does a good job of taking care of everything for you. Uncompressed AVI would be fine if it's a small enough section or you have enough drive space.

Mike Kujbida May 23rd, 2008 06:58 AM

Here's a link to John Meyer's Deshaker script for Vegas.
This page also has a link to the original forum thread.

Bill Ravens May 23rd, 2008 07:01 AM

Cineform Neo HD or HDV works very well as an intermediate for export into VDub.

Simon Denny May 23rd, 2008 11:29 AM

Cheers Marcus,Edward, Mike & Bill
Good info from you guys, thanks.
Have looked at Mercalli,the script in Vegas 8 crashes and was going to look at Cineform Neo HD or HDV.

Thanks
Simon

Marcus Marchesseault May 23rd, 2008 05:58 PM

How about Sony YUV HD? It is smaller than uncompressed (while still being quite large) and seems to look good. My quadcore is not fast enough to play it back at full framerate in full definition so it would be nice to know how the codec holds up before investing days testing. I also am hesitant to get Cineform and only use it as an avenue for slow motion rendering unless there are other clear benefits. Any suggestions?

Simon Denny May 23rd, 2008 06:15 PM

Hi Marcus,
Where do i find the Sony YUV HD codec?

Simon

Marcus Marchesseault May 23rd, 2008 09:41 PM

This is how I would do it but you need to select the corresponding PAL codecs:

Under "Render As" select "Video for Windows (*.avi)" under "Save as type". Select "HD 1080-60i YUV" and I believe that is the Sony codec. There is also "HDV 1080i-60i intermediate". I really don't know what will be the results of either.