how come audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Major Player

how come audio

so how come vegas doesnt let you import right and left channels as seperate audio AUTOMATICALLY? instead I have to bring the media into the timeline and select which channel I want to use (left or right). is there a way to have vegas instantly split the channels on to two seperate audio tracks?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
so how come vegas doesnt let you import right and left channels as seperate audio AUTOMATICALLY?
I should imagine that this is the way it has been designed. Maybe having its roots firmly coming from a Sound program? Maybe? Actually I quite like having it nice and tight and collected as ONE track - yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
is there a way to have vegas instantly split the channels on to two seperate audio tracks?
Instantly? Well, I use several Stereo Split scripts that the Scripting Gurus have produced.

Once I have the Event up there I select the Audio and click on the script - BOSH! Done! And that is instant.

I recently had to do loads of this for a client where we had masses of Left as Right and Right as Left and so on and so on. Scripting! That'll be your best solution.

And again, I quite like that Vegas brings in the combined Left<>Right.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Ian, I'm not sure I'm following your reasoning here. It imports the audio on a single track but sends the left channel out the left side and the right channel out the right side. Is that not what it should do?

As Grazie said, there's scripts that will break the left and right channels onto separate tracks (in fact, there's a free one in the "Free Scripts" section of my website)

What the scripts do is copy the audio to a second track and then set one of them to left only out both channels and the other to right only out both channels. So you now essentially have a mono output with both sides going out both channels.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

What if i was recording a guitar on left and vocals on right and wanted to avoid using a mixer on location? And when in vegas i wanted to treat each channel with seperate FX? ie as 2 mono tracks and not 1 stereo track?
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #5

That's the ONE case I can see it useful. In that case, I just run the script that will split the audio onto two tracks - quick one button press and it's done. As I said, there's a free script on my website that does it. Both Excalibur and Ultimate S will do it as well if you own either of those.
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Edward, here's another case where it's useful.
I do several recordings each year of musicals and plays.
I get a feed from the house PA system (CH. 1) but also use my on-camera shotgun mic (Ch. 2) to get audience reaction (house mixers often kill all mics at the end of a scene so you miss the applause with their feed) and as an emergency backup.
Since you made this script available, I use it all the time.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #7

To me, that's the same case. You have two separate distinct audio feeds - one recorded on each side - and want them both controllable separately and fed out both channels. Fortunately it's really easy to achieve - with or without the script. It's just a lot faster with the script.
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Major Player

sorry guys for not paying attention to the thread.

thanks for the suggestion on scripting.

as for my reasoning, I shoot news, nat sound on channel 2 (left) wireless on channel 1 (right). and I like the efficiency of having everything split already on the timeline. especially when under a tight deadline, I hate importing the media, then right clicking and seperating the channels.

I will look into scripting.

thanks again.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...