Working with several .veg at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Working with several .veg

I'm very curious how you guys handle one thing in your projects...

When working in big projects with alot of track motions, effects, transitions and more, it gets alot slower when woking in it...

So I heard that why not use several of veggies (projects) and at the end, you merge these together and render all the veggies in the new project you made for these...

But I cant see how you can do this if you have a backround music added, which you may have synced with parts of the videos you working with.
You cant just cut the music file in your veggies and the merge them together without any glitches or something ? or can you ?

Sort it out for me...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Wouldn't the music be IN the VEG file?

Basically think of your project as sections. You have sections A, B, C, D, and E that all make up part of your project. Once all sections are done, you start a new project and add the previously completed projects, in order, to that new project. Then you do your final render from that "final" project
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Lets say im working with a project which is 3 minutes.

First veg, I have a couple of video clips which is total 20 seconds.
Second veg, I have a couple of video clips which total is 40 seconds.
Third veg, I have a couple of video clips which total is 1 minutes.
Fourth and last veg, I have a couple of video clips which total is 1 minutes.

To these all video clips I have a song which is 3 minutes

In these veggies I have the song because I need it to sync it with the video.
Do you mean that I should remove the song after all the veggies is finished, create a new veg, input the four veg, and add the whole song under a new music track below?
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Splitting the VEG's is good for long form projects, and a way to keep projects with a lot of layers manageable. But in general it isn't needed.

Quote:
Do you mean that I should remove the song after all the veggies is finished, create a new veg, input the four veg, and add the whole song under a new music track below?
Kind of, yes. For a music video, unless you have a lot of tracks, I would just edit in one VEG. You are not gaining any speed or efficiency by merging VEG files unless it is a long form project, or a project with a lot of layers that need collating.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #5

I would typically have a VEG for that entire 3 minutes. Then maybe another VEG for the next 20 minutes. Then maybe another VEG for the next 4 minutes. And maybe a fourth VEG for another 30 minutes for a 57 minute project. I wouldn't typically break up one song into multiple VEG files.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Major Player

ok thnx, well my project may be short but with track motion, fx's, transitions, over 80 track and so on, this is kind of heavy when editing. Vegas is choking or what to say...

So I plan in future project to make this more smarter, and devide to several veggies so the work speed, goes alot faster.

The only reason why I havent, is because i didnt know how to handle the song to be synced to all the video clips, when split to several VEG.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #7

In that case, yes I'd probably add the audio separately in the "final" VEG file.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Major Player

OK! thnx for that...
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:24 AM   #9
Trustee

wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Olsson View Post
ok thnx, well my project may be short but with track motion, fx's, transitions, over 80 track and so on, this is kind of heavy when editing. Vegas is choking or what to say...

So I plan in future project to make this more smarter, and devide to several veggies so the work speed, goes alot faster.

The only reason why I havent, is because i didnt know how to handle the song to be synced to all the video clips, when split to several VEG.
The most I have used is about 36 or so tracks on my most recent project.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, I do a photo montage.
Every picture (50) have their own track because they all use track motion. Then I use diffrent particles (15) done from 'Particle Illusion' flying around in the space. Audio tracks (5), some music effects have to play at same time. I also use (10) different tracks with layers, who have to have their own track....
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:07 AM   #11

Kim, I typically do photo montages on ONE track. Each image is panned/zoomed via Pan/Crop.

If you're zooming IN on the picture, you WANT to use Pan/Crop as it uses the full resolution of the image. If you zoom in via Track Motion, you'll be zooming in on the video frame instead.

Plus, even though you're using track motion, it's keyframable meaning that unless you have all 50 images visible at once, the same track could be reused for multiple images.

Take a look at Vol 1 #8 of my newsletters.
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Major Player

Edward, yes many photo is visible at the same time, im using 3d track motion to make it look like it floating in 3d space, and NO, it doesnt zoom in to the frame, it zooms like what you described.

I dont know maybe I could show you some of my rendered projects ??

maybe i could send you a very compressed version of it, a small frature of it....
Maybe like an trailer of a project?

So you really see, because I cant really write what I mean, english of mine is very limited. My home language is Swedish...
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:53 PM   #13

Yes, adding 3D track motion would certainly complicate the issue. As long as you get the job done - that's what counts. And that may certainly be the easiest way for your circumstances.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...