ProType Titler at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Major Player

ProType Titler

Media Generators---ProType Titler---Near Baseline---Collections---Slide

I want to have some texts going across the screen during the video. This text line will appear on the screen from left to right, in a "slide", which is what Vegas calls the roller coaster motion. From reading the "Help" area in Vegas, I need to set keyframes to achieve this effect. However, on the Media Generators window, there are supposed to be some diamond-shaped icons (keyframes) at the Automation Controller/Timeline. I don't see any such icons.

Thanks,
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

The protype titler is totally different from all the other media generator - including the timeline at the bottom. If all you want is sliding text like a news ticker, the standard text generated media can handle that fine with two keyframes. Just set the first one with the text slightly off the right edge and the second keyframe with the text slightly off the left edge.

The protype titler can also easily handle this. The steps are slightly different but the theory is the same. You'll have a keyframable effect on the timeline and set the first position off the right and second position off the left.

Step by step:

1. Add a protype text generator to the timeline.

2. Double-click in the main window and type in your text and press ESC

3. Move the text to the area of the screen where you wish it to scroll. Position left/right is not critical at this time.

4. Under the "Transform" tab to the left you'll see Center, Rotation, Offset, X, Y, etc... Click on the @ beside the "X".

5. Now adjust the "X" setting so that the text is just off the right edge.

6. In the timeline area there is now an "X" row with a line going across. You now need to add a second point on that line on the right side of the timeline. You can do this by double-clicking the line.

7. Now change the "X" setting so that the text is just off the left edge of the screen.

You can now play it back to see the text scroll.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Major Player

There's a small problem. My main video is on Track 1, associated audio on Track 2, this rolling text clip is on Track 3. When I play everything back, the text does roll, but it's behind the main video, thus not visible on the screen. What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM   #5
Trustee

Move your text track up and make it track 1. Higher tracks are stacked above lower tracks
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Move your text track up and make it track 1. Higher tracks are stacked above lower tracks

Ah I see. What's the easiest way to move the text track from #3 to #1? Track 1, with almost 100 video clips on it, is quite long. Do I select all of the clips and move them down as one big unit (hold down left mouse button and drag)?

Thanks,
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Combs View Post
Ah I see. What's the easiest way to move the text track from #3 to #1? Track 1, with almost 100 video clips on it, is quite long. Do I select all of the clips and move them down as one big unit (hold down left mouse button and drag)?

Thanks,
Create the new track, select all the clips, and use numpad 8 and 2 to move the clips while maintaining sync.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM   #8
Trustee

Just click and drag the text track header up to the top so it becomes track number 1.
The video track with the 100 clips will then be pushed down and become track 2.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; June 3rd, 2008 at 04:19 AM. Reason: more info
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM   #9
Trustee

Apologies for not mentioning how to move the track...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:40 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, tracks are very easy to move. You just need to make sure you click on a BLANK area of the track header. Then it can be moved anywhere you want.

When looking at your tracks. pretend your at the top of the screen looking downward. That is how the video will be seen.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...