DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Adding multiple effects, removing just one. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/123297-adding-multiple-effects-removing-just-one.html)

Paul Kellett June 8th, 2008 11:33 AM

Adding multiple effects, removing just one.

If i want to add an effect to one clip then i click the effects icon on the clip and add an effect, effect icon turns green, no problem.

If i want to add an effect to the whole track then i click the icon on the track header, effect icon turns green, no problem.

But.
What if i then want to remove the effect from just one,or a few, clips ?
How do i do that ?
Surely if each clip on that track now has an effect added to it,via the header, then the effect icon on all those clips should be green also, but it's not.
If i click on a clip effect icon, the plug in chain opens up and according to that i haven't got any effects added to that clip, but i know i have because i've just added it via the header.
So say i had 30 clips and wanted to add an effect to just 28 of them then i've got to do all 28 individually, when what i'd like to do is add the effect to all 30 clips then go through and select which clips to remove effects from.

Is this possible with vegas pro 8 ?

Thanks.

Paul.

Tim Ducharme June 8th, 2008 11:44 AM

Multiple Video Tracks

Since you have the effect on the video track it will be applied to the entire track, as you know.

The way I work around this is to add a second video track. I move the clips I don't want effected to the new video track.

There may be other ways, but this is what has worked for me.

Ian Stark June 8th, 2008 01:12 PM

You can add effects at track level or event (clip) level. Also you can add effects to media in the Media Pool so if you chop up a long clip, all the smaller pieces will have the effect(s) present.

It's important to note that you can add effects at ANY or ALL of these levels independently, so a single clip can be affected by effects at media level and/or track level and/or event level.

So, for example, if you want an entire 10 minute clip treated with, say, the color curves filter, perhaps to brighten it up a bit, and you want that effect to appear every time you use little segments of that long clip on the timeline, then you would apply the effect to the clip in the media pool. It will be shown as a media level effect and the fx icon will be green in the media pool when the clip is selected there.

If you also want all the clips on a particular track to be effected with, I dunno, say the glow filter, then you would add that effect to the track level effects chain in the track header (turning the fx icon green).

Next, if you want a single clip to have an instance of the TV Simulator you would right click the clip, select Video Event Level FX and add your effect there , turning the fx icon on that clip green.

If you wanted an effect to appear on various clips dotted all over your project (say the 28 out of 30 you mentioned, no matter what track they are on) you would apply the effect to one clip and then click copy while that clip is selected. Then crtl-click the other 27 clips to select them and right click/paste event attributes to apply that effect to all those clips. In some cases, it might be easier to create a new track that will include or exclude those clips from specific effects. That would be the way to go if you wanted to make a change to the effect that woiuld affect all the other clips as well.

Finally, you can also apply effects to the entire project by selecting the fx in the preview pane.

Hope that's of use. You might want to check some of the terminology I've used here. I am rendering a project at the moment so can't easily look at Vegas.

Ian . . .

Ian Briscoe June 8th, 2008 01:32 PM

This is on my wishlist - the ability to apply an effect to all of the events (as event level effects) for a given peice of media. Then you can just switch the effect off for those events you don't want it on.

Ian

Seth Bloombaum June 8th, 2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Briscoe (Post 890003)
This is on my wishlist - the ability to apply an effect to all of the events (as event level effects) for a given peice of media. Then you can just switch the effect off for those events you don't want it on.

You can apply an effect to all event instances of a given piece of media by applying the effect to the media in the media pool.

As for then being able to selectively turn it off, event by event - sorry, not in Vegas. You could, however, make a duplicate copy of the media over in Windows, name the copy myfile_clean.avi or some such, and have the option of using the effected or clean file in a project.

Vegas is very powerful in being able to add filters at the event, timeline, bus, master, or media level.

Ian Stark June 8th, 2008 03:37 PM

Or could you duplicate the track, create subclips of the events you do NOT want to be affected, delete the rest of the clips on the upper track then add the effect to the media in the pool?

Blimey, getting a bit long winded though!

Ian Briscoe June 8th, 2008 03:39 PM

I appreciate you can add effects at the media level Seth. Just saying that it would be nice to be able to add them at the eveny level for all events for that media.

Ian

Ian Stark June 8th, 2008 03:44 PM

Hang on - the even *easier* way to acheiev what Ian wants is to add the fx to the media in the pool, then chop your media into events on the timeline as desired (each event will inherit the media fx) and for each event you do NOT want the effect on, simply right click/create subclip - fx do not carry from the parent media to a subclip. Job done!

Ian Briscoe June 8th, 2008 04:57 PM

Ah the mysterious world of subclips - never delved into that. :-) That sounds like a workable way of doing things as Vegas stands right now. But how much easier it would be to right click the media - select "Apply to all events for this media" - and then open the event and see all of the effects there and remove the one you don't want.

Ian

Ian Stark June 8th, 2008 10:56 PM

Agreed that it would be easier to get your head around it, but in terms of keystrokes it would be the same - one action to add the fx to the media in the pool then one action per clip to create the unaffected subclip (which automatically replaces the original affected clip on the timeline).

Still, I agree that a clearly named function would be preferable!

Edward Troxel June 9th, 2008 06:17 AM

Please also note that effects can be easily added and delete via scripts as well.

Jeff Harper June 9th, 2008 08:24 AM

Another way to do this, starting at the beginning, is to add the effect to one clip. then right click/copy that clip, then deselect the clip. then, after selecting all other clips that receive the effect, right click and paste event attributes.

Then the you can remove effects as needed from individual clips. Only thing you must remember is that clip speed is one of the attributes. eg., if you paste event attributes of a clip that is regular playback speed, anything you have slow motioned will revert to regular speed.

This is the way I always add effects, personally, as it is the only way to maintain control over the individual clips. I just have to remember that issue with the clip speed being affected.

Ian Stark June 9th, 2008 08:35 AM

Another thing you need to be careful with when using copy/paste event attributes is that it will also copy things like pan/crop settings so you need to make sure that if you're using this technique to copy effects, you do it before you start messing about with other clip attributes.

I found this out the hard way by copying and pasting the event attributes from one generated text event to about seventy others and not realising until a multi-hour render later that it had copied the text contents as well as the settings!

Jeff Harper June 9th, 2008 08:41 AM

Thanks, Ian, I forgot about the pan/crop settings...the copy/paste method is useful, but trickey to implement unless it is added first thing to you clips before anything else is done as you say.

Ian Stark June 9th, 2008 08:47 AM

Yeah, I use it all the time - but with caution! What would be lovely would be a copy/paste SELECTED attributes function.