Newbie question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie question

I'm new to Vegas (Movie Studio Platinum 8 version of Vegas), and I can't understand how to access trim information about a clip. If I drag the front and/or end of a clip on the timeline to shorten it, I want to later be able to see this information so I could reproduce the in/outs in a different program.
Thanks,
John.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You might try looking at sub-clips.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #3
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wyatt View Post
I want to later be able to see this information so I could reproduce the in/outs in a different program.
Do you mean:

A] A different editing program?

Or

B] A different "video" project "program"?

If "A", then sub-clips, if Movie Studio Platinum 8 does sub-clips. If "B" then NO, sub-clips are NOT transferable to another editing program.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Would an Edit Decision List be useful here? (Appreciated that Vegas simplifies the things going on in a project down to crossfades and a single track.)

Or how about .aaf? Anyone successfully working with that?

And finally, re subclips, does Copy Media With Project create a new clip that can be used as an ordinary clip?

Just some early Sunday morning thoughts!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for replying everyone. I do want to use another program, but EDL compatibility (even assuming the lite version of Vegas can output such a thing) is not essential; I am thinking in terms of a manually-written list I would make myself (assuming I can view that sort of information: the subject of my query). Imagine a normal editing situation: having tens of different clips, each with their in/outs changed and butted-up hard against each other on the timeline. When I'm happy with the trims, I would like to later select a clip and be able to read somewhere it's trimmed in/out (relative to the clips original length, not relative to its position on the timeline). I can do this on other NLEs (such as Edit Studio Pro), but can't find the equivalent in Movie Studio. In fact, I can't see the file name of a clip on the timeline either, which makes things a bit difficult. When I have this list of information, I can reproduce the cut sequence in another program using the original files (I need the in/outs in order to do this). I haven't looked in the help files yet for subclips because editing is done on another machine, but can someone briefly tell me where it's found (and what it is!).

Many thanks.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Ah, I must confess I did not take into account the fact that it's Movie Studio. Should've read your post properly. Durrrrr.

I'm not really up to speed on what's in that version, sorry!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wyatt View Post
In fact, I can't see the file name of a clip on the timeline either, which makes things a bit difficult. When I have this list of information,
View - Active Take Information

You might also want to check out: View - Edit Details.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

In View/Active take information, you get the name of the file Vegas is addressing. However: View/Edit details menu does not exist in Movie Studio (must be Pro-only version). Thanks everyone for your help.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...