Nested .veg files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nested .veg files

Is there an advantage to using nested .veg files? The only one I can see is less time to render the nested .veg file and using the rendered file, as opposed to the .veg file itself
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I do not use nested veg files often, in fact rarely. However, my take on the use of them is that it simply enables the editor to combine projects or parts of a project with ease.

If you are doing a three-part project it might be simpler to edit each section separtely and then just combine them when the individual parts are done.

I cannot see how there would be performance benefits, if that is what you are asking.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

On the few occasions I have used nested .veg's they have greatly reduced the complexity of the project. With careful advanced planning, they allowed me to break the project into manageable chunks (title sequence, chapters, credits etc) while retaining some sanity on an otherwise overcrowded timeline.

I'm not aware of any performance gains/hits but I'm sure others will have observations to chip in.

Personally, I prefer the idea of folders within a project, like After Effects, rather than referencing external files. That would allow for simpler media management and project structure, IMHO. More to the point it would facilitate simpler changes to a complex project, without the need to open up a separate .veg to change things around.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I cannot see how there would be performance benefits, if that is what you are asking.
I didn't think there would be any performance benefits in rendering the final project either, including nested veg files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
. With careful advanced planning, they allowed me to break the project into manageable chunks (title sequence, chapters, credits etc) while retaining some sanity on an otherwise overcrowded timeline.
It's true when you put it like that. Alot easier to manage a complicated project.
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Old Boot

Another advantage to using Nested as opposed to Folders, is that the imported VEG is a rendered proxy, and thusly plays better in Preview.

Another one is I can treat the NEST as just another piece of media and do Fxs easily to it without the need to impart a Parent Track to some complex Track section.

Another one is that I can do trannies and so on - it is a piece of Media.

Another one is that I can import the Veg into several other Vegas Projects. My last project required me responding to my client's wishes needing a similar treatment WITHIN each part of a 12 Chapter DVD, AND requiring changes to that section at will - had to do this by quick response via email. THAT was interesting.

The more I use Nesting, the more ways I find TO use it. More graphics, more layers, more compositing - nesting allows to keep my ideas/thoughts on flowing.

Nesting? Best thing since sliced Bread!

BTW? What IS so good about sliced bread? You don't need to slice it!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yep, agreed with all of that. Sounds like your projects might be a tad more complex than mine though. I try and keep mine as simple as possible 'cause I'm a simple kind of guy!

That's why, for me, folders would work better - I try not to let a project become too 'heavy' during the organisational stages that performance becomes an issue. Simple crossfades (which is pretty much the only transition I use these days anyway) and zero fx (with some exceptions) until the structure is in place. Being able to quickly and easily add/remove/move media into folders on the timeline would be a bigger benefit to me.

What would be nice (for me) would be able to create folders on the timeline that acted like parent tracks and could therefore take folder level fx/track motion etc. Now that would work for me!
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Old Boot

We have Folder Tracks in ACID. It would be neat if this was brought into Vegas too. Now, ACID as a NEST into Vegas is something we've been on about for sometime now.

I'm for simplicity - oh yes. The trick is to make the complex "appear" simple and natural. The Client sees the Swan - not the legs under the water.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hehehe . . . don't make it TOO graceful! Don't want the client to think it's easy, eh?!
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Trustee

Nesting is the way to go for long edits.
For me i might have a 60 min project with so much in it that at times i'm forever fixing up time line edits.
I now have this down into small projects and then nest them all into a master project,therefore i have less chance of stuffing up a timeline edit in a long project.
Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Old Boot

Agreed Simon.

Nesting for long form is perfect. There was a time when I would render to a new track to see and amass all the stuff. Now I don't get confused as much. I don't bother now, as I've become a serial vegist and nester!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...