DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas to Sound Forge to Vegas??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/124068-vegas-sound-forge-vegas.html)

Jim Andrada June 18th, 2008 06:57 PM

Vegas to Sound Forge to Vegas???

I've been working on a video of an event and I need to balance some dialogue. I've been able to get the audio track out of Vegas into Sound Forge and apply compression, etc so it sounds quite nice.

My question is how to get the rebalanced track back into Vegas. Vegas offers the ability to open a track in Sound Forge, but I haven't yet found any clean way to send it back to Vegas when I'm finished. I must be missing something simple - but what???

I also noticed that it came into SF as two stereo tracks but it should be mono - must be a simple fix for that as well.

This is the first time to try to put together a "real" project like this, so lots of first time dumb questions - and probably more coming as I blunder my way through this!!!

Jon Fairhurst June 18th, 2008 07:23 PM

I usually right click a clip on a track in Vegas, and select "Edit." SoundForge automatically opens (assuming that you have selected SF as your editor in the Vegas prefereces.) All you have to do is save the modified file in SF to the same name & location as the original, and the track is automatically updated in Vegas.

Keep in mind, however, that SF performs destructive editing. You might first make a copy of the unprocessed clip with a different name, then save the processed clip with the original file name.

In general, I do as much processing in Vegas (using audio plugins, busses, etc) as possible. The only time I use SF is for the final mastering pass, using the Isotope Mastering Tools that come with SF9.

Jim Montgomery June 18th, 2008 08:21 PM

Right click your audio clip and Open Copy in Sound Forge. Make your changes and when you close the SF file it will ask if you want to save. When you do it adds a new take in Vegas. So you have your original is intact and your revised one on top. Just highlight the audio clip and hit "t" to cycle thru your takes.

Jim Andrada June 18th, 2008 11:18 PM

Thanks much - seems to work!

By the way, in Vegas, is it possile to boost the audio volume for a section of an event without affecting other parts of the event?

Ian Stark June 19th, 2008 12:37 AM

Two choices that immediately spring to mind:

1. Split the clip into smaller parts, one of which is the section you want to boost.
2. Use a volume envelope (right click on the track header).

Edward Troxel June 19th, 2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 895413)
1. Split the clip into smaller parts, one of which is the section you want to boost.
2. Use a volume envelope (right click on the track header).

For simple volume changes, I'd definitely pick #2. An easy way to get the volume envelope is to click on the audio track and press "V".

Jim Andrada June 19th, 2008 12:53 PM

Thanks much - seems to work fine

Sorry for all the basic questions - I think I have a pretty good idea what I can do with Vegas, but figuring out HOW to get Vegas to do it is a bit mysterious.

On thing I noticed is that by pulling the volume envelope I could get a 6db increase - but couldn't get more than this. Is there someplace where a limit is specified?

(Whether it would be a good idea to increase the gain more than this is a separate question!)

Edward Troxel June 19th, 2008 01:05 PM

You can also increase the volume on the TRACK. Then you can lower the volume using the volume envelope where you didn't want it increased by the same amount.

Don Bloom June 19th, 2008 06:46 PM

you could also split the audio at the points you want to adjust the levels either up or down right click goto non-realtime fx and choose amp modulation OR volume. You can specify how much you want to add or subtractand then it will render that portion to a new take. You canalways go back to the original.I believe thought that between the envelope and track header adjustments and by adding a bus and placing that portion to that new bus you would/should have infinite control.
(busses are your friend)
Don

Jon Fairhurst June 19th, 2008 07:01 PM

Vegas is an awesome multitrack recorder. Long ago there were separate Vegas Video and Vegas Audio products.

One cool trick for music, singing and voice overs is to set up a loop and record many takes for a given short phrase. During playback, cycle through by pressing "T", until you get the one you want. With splits and loops, you can do punch-ins with pre and post roll.

The only things I don't use Vegas for in audio are MIDI/sample_playback and mastering. Vegas is my audio mixing tool of choice over Sonar, Cakewalk and all the rest...