Specific shake removal question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Specific shake removal question

I have a long, slow (30 seconds covering about 15 feet) track back reveal shot which is spoiled on every one of seven takes by a combination of an inexperienced dolly operator and a very slightly uneven floor. The result is there are a few little shakes and one quite noticeable judder that I am keen to remove. Sadly, the shaking was not noticeable on the monitor at the time of the shoot (the judder was, but I think I can cut at that point).

My question is aimed at people with experience of the various shake removal tools available for Vegas (or After Effects). Which of the available tools would be best for removing shake in this kind of shot? I've attached start and end frames to give an idea of scale (sorry, they're a bit dark - the starting frame shows a Dickensian scribe using a quill pen on a piece of parchment while the end shot reveals that the Scribe is, in fact, in a modern office environment.)

Thanks in advance.

Ian . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Specific shake removal question-image0.jpg   Specific shake removal question-image1.jpg  

Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #2
Old Boot

Ian, I can't really tell from the still, maybe others can - I must be missing something?

However, if you wish to send me a short - very short - sample of a few frames of the best going into the worst of it, so I can gauge which of my tools I could use, I can make an informed view - and maybe some remedial approach as to what would be possible.

Bottom line, how bad it is against how abrupt the remedy could be AND a potential lack of resolution, is the question. Gentle wobbles can be quite effectively adjusted - maybe.

Regards

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Grazie. Actually I only meant for the pictures to show the start position and end position of the shot to give an idea of how long (in terms of distance) the track back is, rather than the shake. I'm working from a client's office today so I won't get a chance to take you up on your generous offer right away. When I get back though . . .!

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Old Boot

Ah, right - I think?

Just get it to me within the next 24 hours and let's see what I can do with it - yeah?

Grazie
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

www.film-it.net/client/cam_shake_clip.avi

Hi Grazie - oh, the joy of a remote connection!

Here's a short clip (<13mb) which has the worst of the shakes - actually it's a lurch and I have just realised where it comes from - it's from where the woman steps over the track - I guess there's a bounce in the floor. It happens at the same point in each take.

Any advice on how best to remove it - if that's possible - will be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #6
Old Boot

Doownloading now. - G
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Great, thanks Grazie. Apologies if I am unable to respond further until tonight - I'm about to go into a script writing session for the rest of the day (read 'lunch with client').

Cheers!

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...