DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How do I save AVI files to for a project. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/124278-how-do-i-save-avi-files-project.html)

Peter Vaughn June 22nd, 2008 08:20 AM

How do I save AVI files to for a project.

Hello Vegas Users,

I am a newbiie, just intstalled Vegas 8.0b on my Toshiba Satellite laptop & am stuck on a
very simple problem.

Most of my footage is on AVI DVDs....what would be the easiest method for saving this footage in various Vegas projects?

I tried saving it & now when I go in to Vegas, it says it can't find the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Vaughn
Chicago

Edward Troxel June 22nd, 2008 11:02 AM

Peter, not sure I understand the question. "AVI" and "DVD" typically don't go together. Plus "AVI" can be many different formats. Perhaps if you tell us exactly what you're doing - how you tried to "save it". Also, by default Vegas captures to "My Documents" so you might also look there. (That location can, and should, be changed.)

Peter Vaughn June 22nd, 2008 11:31 AM

DVD AVI problem....

Edward,
Thanks for your response.

Before I installed & used Vegas,

I was a Macrosystems User,

& I stored most of my finished clips on

AVI files, which I burned onto DVD-Rs.

My problem now, is that I want to save all these AVI clips in Vegas,
& when I do & then go back into Vegas, it says it can't find the file(s).

Do I first have to capture the files? How do I do that from my DVD drive,

into Vegas correctly?

I have gotten the AVI files to show up in Vegas, I just want to save or capture them
properly

So, I want to capture and/or save these AVI files properly, so that they will show up in
VEGAS.....
I hope I have explained myself properly.

Peter Vaughn
Chicago

Norris Combs June 22nd, 2008 01:09 PM

This may work:
Insert your DVD with all the avi files on it. Open Vegas.
File
Import
DVD Camcorder Disc.

Good luck!

Jim Andrada June 22nd, 2008 01:15 PM

Peter,

I'm sort of a newbie with Vegas myself, but hope I cam help at least a little.

When you say you saved them in Vegas, do you mean that you used the save command from the Files drop down? If so, the only thing this saves are the Vegas files which record the actions you've taken on the clips - it doesn't save the clips themselves, just the Vegas files that reference the original footage.

If the original files aren't where they were when you put them into Vegas, then Vegas won't be able to find them

I'm assuming that when you say you burned them to DVD you mean that you burned them as data files, not as a rendered DVD video.

I think the best way would be to simply copy them to a hard drive and then load them into Vegas as required. If you work on them in a Vegas project and save the project, when you reopen it, you'll be right where you were when you saved - as long as the files themselves are in the same place.

If my assumptions are wrong, let me know and we can go from there

Edward Troxel June 22nd, 2008 04:14 PM

If they're truly AVI files on the DVD, why not just copy them to the hard drive and then have Vegas access them from there???

Ian Stark June 23rd, 2008 12:39 AM

If you aren't wanting to copy ALL the files from the DVDs, you could start by by importing them (all) into the media pool (they are still on the DVD), add those you want to the timeline, clean up the media pool (to remove those you don't want) then file/save with a copy of media (which will save the media you do want to the hard drive of your choice).

I've never tried anything like this and I am guessing that it's possible to work with media directly from a data DVD, but it seems to me this is a simple way to just get the clips you want onto the hard disk rather than having to copy them all.