Minimum Requirements Question for Vegas. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Minimum Requirements Question for Vegas.

I have purchased Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platimum version 8. My desktop computer can handle it and HDV with no problem when it comes to minimum spec requirements.

I also want to instal it on my laptop, but I'm not sure about something.
The Software's Minimum requirement for processors is 800MHz (2.8GHz for HDV or AVCHD). My laptop has an Intel Core Duo T2500 2.0GHz.

I realize that 2.0GHz is Less than 2.8GHz, but wouldn't the fact that it is Core Duo make up for the difference. I really don't understand the way these things work.

Thanks for the Help.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I would just try it...or if you are hesitant to activate your second copy install a demo version and see how it runs...

I would think it will work fine, just not nearly as efficiently as on your desktop.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

To expand on Jeff's suggestion, install it on your laptop.
Sony allows you to install it on as many machines as you want as long as you're only using one machine at a time.
You will need to register it but, if you're connected to the net while doing this, it's quick and painless :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Mike,

What I meant was if he was hesitant to install and activate on a second machine, (I called it a second copy, but should have said second installation).

What I was thinking was that the activation process might be best to bypass in case Steve doesn't like the way it performs, and ended up trying it on a third machine...I believe Vegas does report system configuration during the activation process...

I ran out of installations tries and had to call Sony on a couple of occasions, and if I'm not mistaken they asked me about changes to my hardware on one call. Sure enough I had changed my hard drive configuration and when I told them that it seemed to match what they saw and they were happy and everything was fine. Hard drive configuration changes don't seem to cause problem with Vegas installations and subsequent activations like they do with Microsoft products, but they are seen at some level during the activation process...they are just not as, shall we say, "as strict" as Microsoft.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info Jeff.
I've never gone past 3 installs so I don't know where Sony draws the line and says "please call us".
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't know the magic number myself. The last time I had to call, which was the second time with Version 8, they put additional install permissions in the system and I have reinstalled on vista and xp 4 times (maybe 5) and still haven't had to call again...they are extremely nice about it...
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...