Media Manager Hangs for 10+ hrs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Trustee

Media Manager Hangs for 10+ hrs

I have very very large project (11hrs of footage) and decided to give the Media Manager a try for organizing footage so I can easily choose shots for highlights by searchign for all "fish-eye" shots, or all reveal shots, etc.

I installed the Media Manager from the Vegas 8 disc, did all the MS SQL required libraries, etc so everything should be installed. I then turned on the media manager in Vegas, (restarted Vegas), and opened it up. I clicked the "Add Files To Media Library" button and picked all the drives & directories with my source footage.

I figured this might take a while, but after letting it go since 8pm yesterday, it has only progressed to 75% completion on the last directory which has 5432 files (1/2 will be Vegas wave forms).

Then Vegas basically froze up when I tried to click the "stop" button. So I had to go to the task manager and kill the vegas process.

Did I do anything wrong in using the media manager? Am I trying to use it on too many files? If need be, I can try it again, and only point the MM to the directories containing the clips for this project, which might speed things up, but I'm not sure.

So any ideas to solve this MM problem?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had the same problem, and searched forums etc for a fix. I found someone with the same problem described here, and all he did was defrag the storage HD, and it worked fine. I defraged and lo and behold my problem was fixed too. So, maybe it will work for you too.
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
I had the same problem, and searched forums etc for a fix. I found someone with the same problem described here, and all he did was defrag the storage HD, and it worked fine. I defraged and lo and behold my problem was fixed too. So, maybe it will work for you too.
Oh .... I have defraged like a maniac. At least once a week. What I ended up doing was adding the clips directory by directory instead of from the root "project source" directory.

I did a backup of the media database and it was 300MB! Crazy. I only have about 5000 media clips. Should the DB be that large? Seems like there is some sort of problem......
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Trustee

More Media Manager Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Oh .... I have defraged like a maniac. At least once a week. What I ended up doing was adding the clips directory by directory instead of from the root "project source" directory.

I did a backup of the media database and it was 300MB! Crazy. I only have about 5000 media clips. Should the DB be that large? Seems like there is some sort of problem......
I was going to start a thread complaining about the glacial pace the MM adds media, but I decided to give the search feature on DVInfo a try and low and behold... I've already whined and complained about the horrible performance. The CPU is pegged for a single core so obviously the MM is not multithreaded, and it is busy doign a whole heck of a lot.... but what is it doing?

Sony, quit using MS SQL! It is a dog of a DB and is slowing your app to a crawl (that or your code needs a lot of work to not suck so badly when adding several thousands clips).

By way of reference, I recently consolidated most of my footage into a single 1TB hard drive (completely full) and decided to add all of it to the MM so I could work on a company demo (something I have yet to make). After letting the MM crunch away for a few hours, I realized that tell the MM to look for media from my root "source_files" directory might have been a bad idea.

What on earth could the MM be doing that takes so incredibly long? All it should be doing is adding a path reference to the avi file, creating a thumbnail out of the middle frame of the video, then adding all that to the DB! That should be a piece of cake programming wise!

Does anyone working on 64bit Vegas 8.1c have any experience adding 15K files to the MM in a single session (I suspect that 1/2 of those files are the vegas waveforms, so they can be ignored by the MM)? Anyone's Media Manager even that big? Should I have individual MMs for each project so I don't overwhelm this poorly written app?

Am I horribly abusing the Media Manager by trying to have all my clips in it? If so, how else do I search for media to use for a company demo?
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Does anyone working on 64bit Vegas 8.1c have any experience adding 15K files to the MM in a single session (I suspect that 1/2 of those files are the vegas waveforms, so they can be ignored by the MM)? Anyone's Media Manager even that big? Should I have individual MMs for each project so I don't overwhelm this poorly written app?

Am I horribly abusing the Media Manager by trying to have all my clips in it? If so, how else do I search for media to use for a company demo?
I also noticed just as I was waiting for the MM to finish its work, that Sony has a new version of the MM (minor rev only). So I DL'ed the new revision and gave it a shot. Whatever they did in the new MM allowed the adding media step to complete in only 4 hours! Still slower than crap, but considering I'm adding a lot more files this time than last time, I'll take the improvement!

There still were times when the media add progress bar seemed stuck doing nothing for 10 minutes at a time, but at least it was able to process through the TB drive in a 1/2 day.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...