DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Navigation on a DVD created by DVD Architect 4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/125652-navigation-dvd-created-dvd-architect-4-a.html)

Reg Gothard July 9th, 2008 05:07 PM

Navigation on a DVD created by DVD Architect 4

Sorry - long post - but need to describe background, symptoms etc...
Issue:
------
Skipping to "NEXT" title in playlist behaves differently on two different DVD players, and neither behaviour is what I want.

DVD structure:
---------------
DVD contains a number of dance routines.
Each routine is in its own "title" (mpg/AC3 combination).
Menus allow the viewer to watch a single routine.
All titles (mpg/AC3 combos) are built into a playlist to give a "Play all" ability.
End action for each individual title is Link to most recent menu.
End action for playlist is Link to most recent menu.

Test sequence:
---------------
1) Select the "Play all" button to play the playlist.
2) While a title is playing, use the "NEXT" button on the remote control to skip to a subsequent title.

Desired behaviour:
------------------
Skip to the next title, and continue playing the playlist.

What actually happens: DVD player A...
---------------------------------------
If, while playing title 1, I press "NEXT", it skips to title 2, plays it, then plays title 2 again, then continues to title 3 etc.
If, while playing title 1, I press "NEXT" twice, it skips to title 3, plays it, then plays title 2, title 3, title 4, etc.

What actually happens: DVD Player B...
--------------------------------------
If, while playing title 1, I press "NEXT", it skips to title 2, plays it, then returns to the menu containing the "Play all" button (the most-recently displayed menu).
If, while playing title 1, I press "NEXT" twice, it skips to title 3, plays it, then returns to the menu containing the "Play all" button (the most-recently displayed menu).

How I'm guessing this behaviour occurs:
---------------------------------------
DVD Player A
Accepts the "NEXT" command while playing title 1,and seeks and plays title 2.
At the end of title 2, it "remembers" that it was playing a playlist, and was somewhere in title 1, so it repositions to the next item in the playlist, which happens to be title 2.
This theory also holds for the scenario where I press "NEXT" twice - it skips to title 3, then repositions in the playlist and plays title 2 etc.

DVD Player B
Accepts the "NEXT" command while playing title 1, and seeks and plays title 2.
At the end of title 2, it reads the "End Action" for title 2, and goes back to the most recent menu.

Questions:
----------
1) Why would two DVD players behave differently? (Player A is a Magnasonic DVD824 "cheapie"; Player B is a "decent" Panasonic DVD-RV32)
2) Which is the "correct" behaviour? (It looks like chapter 9 of "DVD Demystified" might contain the answer, but it's going to take me days to understand it well enough to figure out this problem.)
3) Should I be able to structure the DVD to exhibit the behaviour I described in "Desired Behaviour" above? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

Tim Sargent August 5th, 2008 10:31 AM

Im having exactly the same problem, and am literally at my wits end.

Im desperate for a solution