AVI to WMV problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AVI to WMV problem

Hi.

I am just after recording a big tornado storm on my camcorder, but i recorded to my SD disc as I did not have time to grab my mini DVD discs that i always use with my camcorder. So it gets saved as an AVI format with my SD card.
I came home and previewed the AVI files and the sound and image is great and the sound is clear. I tried to put the AVI into Vegas pro 8 and it only comes up as audio. I get no picture at all. So i converted it to WMV and when it plays in WMV the picture is pixelated and the audio is terrible. So i would love to use the AVI file instead, but vegas wont give any visual at all, just audio from AVI format.

I did a quick search and did not find exactly what im wanting to know, I understand it may be a codec error, but im not sure where i can maybe download the codec needed or maybe it is something so different?.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.
Matthew Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

How about trying the free Windows Media encoder?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi.

I just tried the WME and it says codecs are missing. Does not say which codecs. Im also pretty new to all this editing stuff, so im not sure exactly where to go for codecs.

I have just built my computer and have been using it now for 2 days. Im using Vista ultimate 64 Bit if maybe that is a problem with editing?.
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Vista shouldn't be an issue...try doing a search, if you haven't, like this...

example: "Sony XYZ (model number) AVI issue" or "Sony XYZ (model number) converting avi files"

If I were you I would seek a forum for your specific camcorder...that is likely where you will find your answer...with people who have shared your problem...which are going to be people who use the same camcorder.

Good luck!
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Major Player

search for vista or xp codecs, they are free, come bundled together,
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thank you all.

I just downloaded a vista 64 bit pack and vegas is nowing playing AVI files.
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Glad you found a solution. I convert to .avi files all the time, and from .avi files...never had a problem with Vista 64 bit. Mine is slipstreamed version with SP1, only reason I can imagine mine dealt with them fine and yours didn't...but it doesn't matter, you've got it working.
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah it is strange. Maybe it just never downloaded all the updates it required.

Alot of people told me that 64 bit vista ultimate would be rubbish and id hate it. Been only 3 days, but i love it so far.
I am running my first time with dual cores and higher end video cards, plus going to have 8 Gigs of ram next week to really take advantage of the 64 bit.

I find vegas runs great on this new machine compared to my other single core, XP pro with 2 gigs ram.
Massive difference in power.
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Glad you're enjoying Vista...I've criticized it in the past as being annoying, but it is very stable, in my experience. If you haven't tweaked it yet, make sure you do to get full advantage of your memory, hibernation, etc., takes up huge system resources in case you didn't know it yet.
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I put a widget on the sidebar for CPU and Ram use. Even when it is idle, my vista is using around 811MB of Ram. My XP Pro normally sits at around 400-500MB Ram in use.
So its a huge resource hog. I think today will be when i tweak my system. First thing i did though was turned off that User account thing and it asked me if i was sure lol.
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

BTW the most important setting to change for editing is the drive sleep modes, go into power management (you gotta dig around for the individual settings) and be sure to turn those off...turn everything off...enjoy.....
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...