DPX image sequence at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Major Player

DPX image sequence

Does anyone know of a plugin that can convert clips from the Vegas timeline into a DPX image sequence for filmout purposes?

If not, is there anyone who would know how to write such a plugin for this purpose? I would gladly pay a reasonable price for such a plugin.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, you could try these:

http://www.cineform.com/products/Tec...DPXConvert.htm

Vegas will output a Cineform AVI. And you *should* then be able to convert that AVI to a DPX stream.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Perrone. I looked at your link and it does sound like a promising way to go. I haven't needed the CineForm codec for anything yet, so I assume that I would first have to purchase that, but if it'll do the trick I certainly won't mind.

I'll investigate.
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Vegas SHIPS with a Cineform codec already. All you need to do is to select render, choose AVI as the file type, go into custom, and change the codec to Cineform. Then you can theortically, run the DPX utility against this Cineform encoded AVI file.

I am headed to my office in a few minutes, and I am going to try this myself.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Major Player

I am curious to hear how you made out with the test, because CineForm somehow disappeared from my Vegas. I used to use it for previewing in the player and one day my wmv just came up without the images; only with sound. I switched to the Xvid MPEG-4 codec, which suits me just as fine for these occasional preview window tests and never bothered to pursue CineForm.

But I don't think you will be able to get far with the built-in one, because I believe it's for playback purposes only and can't be exported. That's why I'm curious to see how it works out for you.

If I am wrong on this point, then my next step would be to reinstall Vegas, and I suspect that I'll get my CineForm back that way.

Thanks for helping me out.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post

If I am wrong on this point, then my next step would be to reinstall Vegas, and I suspect that I'll get my CineForm back that way.
I finished a project this spring (1080p -> 720p) where I delivered both PNG based .mov files and Cineform .avi files. You absolutely can render Cineform with Vegas, and it's a part of my normal workflow now, and it's how I archive my masters.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, that's good to hear. So I suppose I should reinstall Vegas. If my memory serves me, Vegas doesn't need to be uninstalled first and I can reinstall right on top of the existing one, is that correct?
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post
Well, that's good to hear. So I suppose I should reinstall Vegas. If my memory serves me, Vegas doesn't need to be uninstalled first and I can reinstall right on top of the existing one, is that correct?
I believe that is correct.

However, I think I figured out why I never did the DPX files with Cineform. The tool to do this does not download with the NEO Player as they claim on their webpage, and it does not seem to be seperately downloadable.

*sigh*

I love what Cineform does, but sometimes I really dislike how the company operates. Their new NeoPlayers STILL break Vegas, even though they claim it doesn't. What a pain.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for trying anyway -- and saving me the trouble of experimenting on my own. I can render to DPX from my animation software, which means exporting an edited Vegas AVI back to the software where the original clips came from and then rendering out from there as DPX image sequences; eighty minutes in five reels ... UGH.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...