footage+audio with timecode burnt-in at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Major Player

footage+audio with timecode burnt-in

Hi

Can I use Vegas to ouput an edit plus audio with Timecode burnt into the video so that a sound editor can open up the video with timecode and then

- clean up existing audio
- add fx and music

Any input from those of you working with a sound editor/musician appreciated.

Thanks much.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yep,

There is a filter you can select called "Sony Timecode". You can move that onto the video window, and render a file.

Sounds like just what you need, and I use it for much the same thing.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
Hi

Can I use Vegas to ouput an edit plus audio with Timecode burnt into the video so that a sound editor can open up the video with timecode and then

- clean up existing audio
- add fx and music

Any input from those of you working with a sound editor/musician appreciated.

Thanks much.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Yep,

There is a filter you can select called "Sony Timecode". You can move that onto the video window, and render a file.

Sounds like just what you need, and I use it for much the same thing.

-P
Hey thanks Perrone, will try it straight away!
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Note that there's many places effects can be added. In this case you mentioned adding it to the preview screen. This will add an effect to the entire PROJECT (and is the same as adding it to the Video Bus). Just don't forget to REMOVE it before your final render!

Adding it to a TRACK might accomplish the same thing. You might also look at the two scripts which add and remove the timecode FX to the media. This is useful if you need the ORIGINAL timecode instead of the PROJECT timecode.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't read anything here about me adding it to the preview screen. I've never done that. I always add things at either the track or the event level.

I have done a couple things on the video bus like oversampling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Note that there's many places effects can be added. In this case you mentioned adding it to the preview screen. This will add an effect to the entire PROJECT (and is the same as adding it to the Video Bus). Just don't forget to REMOVE it before your final render!

Adding it to a TRACK might accomplish the same thing. You might also look at the two scripts which add and remove the timecode FX to the media. This is useful if you need the ORIGINAL timecode instead of the PROJECT timecode.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Hmmm... your first sentence:

Quote:
By "Video Window" I assumed you meant the preview screen. It's an easy way to add it to the entire project at once and is often used for the purpose you mentioned. Just trying to point out some more details to adding effects and reminding that it's necessary to REMOVE it afterwards.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Hmmm... your first sentence:

By "Video Window" I assumed you meant the preview screen. It's an easy way to add it to the entire project at once and is often used for the purpose you mentioned. Just trying to point out some more details to adding effects and reminding that it's necessary to REMOVE it afterwards.
Oh no. When I said the window, I was actually referring to the pre-sets in the timecode burn that let you position where the numbers go. I had even forgotten you COULD add things in the preview window!

LOL, it's SO easy to miscommunicate on here. But great call on reminding people to remove it before the final render!
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Audio Timecode

I've got a similar issue I could use some help with. I am recording audio on an Edirol in the Broadcast Wave format. I am syncing my camera to the Edirol's timecode. I still haven't figured out how to see the audio timecode to sync up in Vegas. Any ideas? Thanks, CAP
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
I've got a similar issue I could use some help with. I am recording audio on an Edirol in the Broadcast Wave format. I am syncing my camera to the Edirol's timecode. I still haven't figured out how to see the audio timecode to sync up in Vegas. Any ideas? Thanks, CAP
Look at post #8 in this thread.

***Edit***
I do believe that the "splitting of polyphonic BWFfiles" referred to in the post is no longer needed with Vegas Pro 8, but I can't seem to lay my hands on a polyphonic file at the moment to test. "Polyphonic" in this use means more tracks than a stereo clip.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; July 15th, 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Seth, thanks for the link, that is something I hadn't thought of. So if I'm reading your other post right, when I look at the properties of the audio file, it will show the timecode of the first frame of the .Wav file?

The only thing that would make that tricky, is since my production is always so hectic, sometimes the camera may run for a while before the audio starts, sometimes it's the other way around.

So if I'm reading your post right, I need to make sure the camera is rolling and at "speed" before I start recording audio? Then when I import everything I should be able to find the spot on the camera's video track that the audio started and I should be in sync?

Thanks again,
CAP

P.S. After re-reading you talk about matching the timecode from the audio to the timecode in the project? Problem is I have to use time of day timecode from my Edirol so usually the timecode is something like 10:00:00.00. When I output to tape the first frame of video needs to be 01:00:00.00 to conform to the standards of the broadcaster, so that's out.
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Inner Circle

CAP, the output TC from Vegas can be anything you want it to be. Once you're synched, you can group your camera clips to your audio clips, change the starting TC of your timeline, slide the grouped clips, whatever you want.

I do recommend time-of-day timecode as the easiest way to rough synch, on cameras as well as audio recorders. Once roughed, he ear is an amazingly good tool for fine sync if you've recorded reference audio in the camera.

When you display the TC on a video event (Options | Preferences | Video | Show Source Framed numbers on event thumbnails as | Timecode) you can edge trim the event to the starting TC for your sync point, as determined by your BWF start.

Not a good time for me to explain in further detail, as I'm out of town with limited internet access, but if you need more please post back and I'll be back online Saturday.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Seth, I think I've got a good handle on what you're suggesting, hopefully I'll get the chance to try it out in the next few days, I'll let you know if I get stuck. Thanks so much for taking the time to post back.

CAP
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...