Vegas freezing up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas freezing up

Using Vegas 8.0b with Ultimate S 2.2 and running on Vista 64 bit. While using the Ultimate S multi-cam feature with 4 cams Vegas is freezing up. I am not editing particularly fast, and am moving slowly to allow Vegas to keep up, but it doesn't seem to help no matter how slowly I move. After i wait for about 2-3 minutes, it catches up and all is well, but I am only able to edit 3-4 minutes before it happens again, if that long.

I've rebotted, defragged, rebooted again, all to no avail. I have 8Gb memory running Quad-core with no other issues that I am aware of.

Any ideas? It seems to me the issue is related to the preview window and the memory getting bogged down or something.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 16th, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

What format are the source files? Sounds like Vegas is simply struggling to keep up.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Edward, the source files are avi from PD and VX series sony cams, same as always...I'm thinking it might have to do with all of the video files being on one drive...it's a fast drive, but this might be too much for it. I started resizing the preview window every 15 seconds or so to clear out the memory, and that seems to be helping a lot. Actually as soon as I wrote the previous sentence it froze up again, so apparently the resizing the preview window isn't helping as much as I thought.
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Wow, DV should be comparatively easy. I do try to spread out multiple angles across multiple drives (and it does seem to help). But I just did three angles on a single drive with no issues like that. What's your RAM Preview size set to? Wonder if changing that would help.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I know you are right, because I do three cams all of the time, no problems ever in several years and with all versions...Ram preview was originally set to 0, then I changed it back to default, with no difference.

I finally finished the ceremony (it was a long one, over an hour) so I am not worried about it now, and next time I'll spread the clips over a couple of drives...I have a feeling it was my hard drive not keeping up, not Vegas' fault. Thanks Edward.
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Well, had a hard drive failure today, so it looks like that explains the issue!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...