Migrating from Premiere... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Migrating from Premiere...

After using Permiere/PPro for almost 7 years I'm "this close" to breaking the noose. Recent rendering issues may force me to look at something else. It's sad when you render the same project 3 times and get 3 different results (among other things).

I've considered Vegas since version 4.0 but was wating for a decent titler to come along. Now that it has something else... and I've had a chance to play with it I'm really disappointed.

Not to offend anybody but this is another reason why Vegas will never be taken seriously in the corporate world. (If indeed that is one of Sony's targeted markets). The convoluted interface of the ProTitler aside, it just tries to do too much and seems to be built on the character level where the results just look real cheesy IMO. Maybe there's a need for this stuff but I've never seen it except on those youtube "gamers" edits which Vegas seems to be the NLE of choice (a sad legacy if this is the case). Doing a scrolling credits piece is simple enough but you can't copy the attributes from one line of text and paste them anywhere else. (An earlier post). The PPro titler has always been good and will spoil anyone.

On the plus side, Vegas still rocks as an editor. I don't care about the inability to save pre-rendered material... it does just fine on a quad. I still do SD though so the HDV folks might have another view.

The slo mo is still better than PPro even after the improvements they made in CS3 (at least with 60i sources anyway).

The "keyboarding" on this thing is amazing. Well thought out (Not the shortcuts... the ability just to do certain things with the keyboard). Actually, Vegas really shines in a lot of well thought out details - something I wish Adobe would do. I don't think their coders use any other software just to see how the rest of the world does things. They still use Windows 3.1 commands for copy and paste :)

I figure that final rendering is about 20% slower than Premiere. Tolerable. But what you render is what you get which is a good thing. :) I know others are screaming for Vegas to tap into the power of their video cards but I hope Sony doen't do that. This is one of the biggest issues Premiere users have to deal with. Maybe the Sony coders can do a better job of it though.

The multicam feature is very similar to Premier's - almost exactly the same except you lose your orginal tracks (easy to deal with though).

Vegas only cracshed on my twice :) I was doing something with audio in the trimmer and asked it to do something else while it was playing... probably my RealTek onbard audio didn't like something.

I really like how Vegas doesn't leave 50gb of crap laying around as Premiere does when you pre-render (of course Premiere reuses that stuff). Backing up a PPro project takes forever and if you try to reconstruct one from scratch - forget it.

I'm amazed I have to go to a non-Adobe NLE in order to get it to use Adobe Audition as my sound editor. :) Premiere won't do this without jumping through a few hoops first.

I see Vegas has gotten a little "bloated" but not as bads as Premiere and the rest of the suite of apps. Dynamic linking with After Effects from inside of Premiere works ok but you'll still have to wait a day and a half to render that timeline if you want to see it.

The "nesting" in Vegas is a good compromise - not up to par with Adobe's ability to have multiple timelines in the same project but that feature would bloat it even more. (I wish I could invoke photoshop from a Vegas timeline though)

The Premiere folks at the Adobe forums can get really anal - especially if you haven't read the manual or forget to provide all your system specs along with your shoe size. :) It's a different world over there folks.

Thanks for reading! Just some ramblings from me... I'm a newb with Vegas and I'll have questions along the way with this adventure I'm sure.

Incidently, I wear size is 11-1/2 shoes.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice Summary

That was a really interesting read. I think that more than anything it reminds me that every NLE has its issues. Not a month goes by that I don't consider jumping ship to FCP because of some "problem", imagined or otherwise. But I think that comes from imagining that NLEs are ships, when of course they are tools. I'll probably always continue using Vegas, and jump back and forth between it and FCP, as I do now.

But thanks for pointing out a lot of why I do love Vegas. It's still the best EDITOR out there...
Mark Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holmes View Post
I think that more than anything it reminds me that every NLE has its issues.
Yep, the grass ain't always greener on the other side... just a different shade maybe. :)

My hurdle right now is a different worlflow and doing without some of the things Adobe did right (like the titler).

And I know more than one FCP user that "cheats" and uses Vegas for some things. Of course they'll never admit it publicly. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #4
Trustee

The thing i like about vegas, is you can throw it on almost any machine and it's good to go.
What i want, is for Vegas to take a bit from Avid and a bit from FCS and make something special.
Simon

Last edited by Edward Troxel; July 20th, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...