DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVDA5 AVi problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/126308-dvda5-avi-problems.html)

Thomas Quinn July 20th, 2008 05:49 AM

DVDA5 AVi problems

Rendered AVi a file in vegas 8. Used fit to disk on DVDA5, the finished DVD looks rubbish (thin horizontal lines over screen) this is the 1st time I tried this on DVD5, Never had and problem on previous versions of DVDA, Is there a problem with 5 for this job or have I over looked some new setting on DVDA 5 any help appreciated

Andy Wilkinson July 20th, 2008 06:09 AM

Interlace issue???

Thomas Quinn July 20th, 2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 909726)
Interlace issue???

On vegas 8 or DVDA5,
by the way the video looks great on Vegas and DVDA on preview before rendering,

Andy Wilkinson July 20th, 2008 08:39 AM

OK, I'm on Vegas 7e and DVDA4 (so no experience of 8 etc.) but this is what I do. I deinterlace all my 50i HDV clips (project settings to field order None and either Interpolate Fields or Blended Fields in the Project Preferences boxes - depending on the type of project (fast action or not). Once I've finished editing (cuts, crops, pans etc.) I render out in Vegas 7 (as a progressive project - I use my own tweaked templates) for Std Def DVD files. I never use DVDA's fit to disk as I've read many times this will RE-RENDER the file you've created in Vegas....and that's bad!

From your description it sounds like an issue with maybe an interlaced setting somewhere. About 18 months ago I was plagued with these issues until I got my head around understanding this. There are many posts on DVinfo (some even by me!) about deinterlacing to prevent what I call the "Venetian blind effect" (some call it "combing")...but basically it's typically seen where you have motion and presents itself as lots of horizontal lines, especially noticeable on 'hard' vertical edges in shot, especially if there is fast movement or panning. A quick search in the editing sections will pull up a lot for you to read.

Not sure if this is your problem or not but I'd certainly check your project settings/workflow route (from what little I know, that's where I'd start). Over to you Vegas experts - and hope this helps you Thomas!

Thomas Quinn July 20th, 2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 909759)
OK, I'm on Vegas 7e and DVDA4 (so no experience of 8 etc.) but this is what I do. I deinterlace all my 50i HDV clips (project settings to field order None and either Interpolate Fields or Blended Fields in the Project Preferences boxes - depending on the type of project (fast action or not). Once I've finished editing (cuts, crops, pans etc.) I render out in Vegas 7 (as a progressive project - I use my own tweaked templates) for Std Def DVD files. I never use DVDA's fit to disk as I've read many times this will RE-RENDER the file you've created in Vegas....and that's bad!

From your description it sounds like an issue with maybe an interlaced setting somewhere. About 18 months ago I was plagued with these issues until I got my head around understanding this. There are many posts on DVinfo (some even by me!) about deinterlacing to prevent what I call the "Venetian blind effect" (some call it "combing")...but basically it's typically seen where you have motion and presents itself as lots of horizontal lines, especially noticeable on 'hard' vertical edges in shot, especially if there is fast movement or panning. A quick search in the editing sections will pull up a lot for you to read.

Not sure if this is your problem or not but I'd certainly check your project settings/workflow route (from what little I know, that's where I'd start). Over to you Vegas experts - and hope this helps you Thomas!

Thanks for your input Andy,
I did a few tests over the last hour using Vegas 7 to render an AVi file tried to burn it in DVD5 the Venetian blind problem was still there, using the same AVi file I burned a disk using DVDA4 and the picture is perfect, So can I assume that there is a problem with DVDA5 when one tries to make a wide screen PAL DVD using a rendered AVi file, anyone any wisdom to offer,

Hugh Mobley July 20th, 2008 09:56 AM

render from vegas into mpeg2 or I use the sony avc at 10 mbps, both using the ntsc template. I am viewing on a lcd hd tv. and I get a perfect dvd. I do use the 4x3 aspect ratio and for some reason on my tv it will fill the whole screen perfectly. If I try the 16x9 or any other thing I either get letterboxng or its stretched and looks like crap. My method may not work for everyone, but I have tried every template, m2t, hd, etc etc to get a good dvd with out going to bluray, and the quality I get looks very good, and its sd also. Of course when I put my stuff back to tape as an m2t and look at it using hdmi on my tv thats what I am really looking for. I am shooting interlaced, having cineform deinterlace, then editing as progressive in vegas. works for me!

Thomas Quinn July 20th, 2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley (Post 909777)
render from vegas into mpeg2

I usually do this Hugh but I was trying to make a motion menu and it is recommended by the experts on the board to render AVi on Vegas and mpeg on DVDA to achieve this, (seems as if you cannot have the option to set SD wide-screen on the new updated DVDA 5, is this a step back for DVDA.