DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Architect 5 missing 1080P 25? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/126372-architect-5-missing-1080p-25-a.html)

Steve Shovlar July 21st, 2008 12:36 PM

Architect 5 missing 1080P 25?

OK how do I go about this then? I shot in 1080P 25P, but looking through architect I can only find 24P. I burnt a Blu-ray dvd using 24P on my 25P footage but it was jerky. Looked like it hangs for a frame every second.

Solutions please? Or does Sony think Pal land doesn't exist?

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 21st, 2008 11:29 PM

25p isn't a BD standard. It's not as much a Sony thing as a BDA thing.
Currently, the standard is to put 24p on a disc, and if it's for b'cast, it's sped up.
BBC for example, released the 25p-acquired Planet Earth series in 24p, and then sped it up for b'cast.
T'would be a rare thing for anyone to notice the difference.

Graham Bernard July 21st, 2008 11:32 PM

I'm listening to the responses on this one . .

Grazie

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 21st, 2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 910334)
I'm listening to the responses on this one . .

Grazie

Consider that not all displays can do 100Hz

Graham Bernard July 21st, 2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 910333)
BBC for example, released the 25p-acquired Planet Earth series in 24p, and then sped it up for b'cast.

Now that is interesting indeed! Why? What value does this add? I mean it, I'm not being sarcastic or obdurate - why do it this way around? There must be a reason?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 910333)
T'would be a rare thing for anyone to notice the difference.

- Yes.

Grazie

Graham Bernard July 21st, 2008 11:42 PM

Sorry Douglas, we got out of sync. with responses here . .

Yes, 100Hz displays. Understood. Hell! This is tough stuff!!

Grazie

Adam Letch July 22nd, 2008 01:42 AM

miffed me too

How the heck did whatever consortium stuff this one up, I mean more than half the world would be shooting PAL, meaning 25p, and they kind of ommitted it! I mean seriously, who's head needs to roll!

Not that I'm vindictive, but seriously, it's like saying, we'll just omit 1080i, nobody will really miss it!

Adam

Kim Olsson July 22nd, 2008 02:53 AM

If you have 25p, it means yo have 25 whole frames per seconds.

But I have never understood what 100Hz means... or 60Hz, 50Hz and so on...

When 100Hz is better then 60Hz for an example, in which way, how ??

Steve Shovlar July 22nd, 2008 03:12 AM

OK I tried to burn the 1080 25P project with the 24P setting in Architect 5. Playing it back on a PS3, it sort of jitters every second. Not sure what has happened but could it be that every second there is a frame dropped? Looks bad.

Afterward I made another copy, but this time used the 50i setting in Architect 5. Didn't seem right but after it was made it played smoothly on the PS3 and looked very good. As it was shot progressive there are no interlace lines.

Can this be the workaround for 25P users?

Richard Hunter July 22nd, 2008 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar (Post 910379)
OK I tried to burn the 1080 25P project with the 24P setting in Architect 5. Playing it back on a PS3, it sort of jitters every second. Not sure what has happened but could it be that every second there is a frame dropped? Looks bad.

Afterward I made another copy, but this time used the 50i setting in Architect 5. Didn't seem right but after it was made it played smoothly on the PS3 and looked very good. As it was shot progressive there are no interlace lines.

Can this be the workaround for 25P users?

If the source material is 25p (and the NLE settings don't screw this up) then it will still have the look of progressive footage when played from a 50i disc. I have been doing this for years with SD DVDs, which also do not support 25p.

Richard

Richard Hunter July 22nd, 2008 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Letch (Post 910359)
How the heck did whatever consortium stuff this one up, I mean more than half the world would be shooting PAL, meaning 25p, and they kind of ommitted it!

Hi Adam. Most of the PAL world is actually shooting 50i, which is what PAL is. For the minority that shoot 25p (including myself), it can be carried nicely on a 50i stream and still look like progressive. In NTSC land however, it is nowhere near as easy to carry 24p on a 60i stream. Having 24p support in DVDs makes sense because a lot of source material (i.e. nearly all movies) is 24p, and the standard was made largely to allow movie playback. 24p also allows a longer program duration on the disc, since there are fewer frames per second compared with 60i (or 30p).

Richard