DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Computer Crashed using vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/126406-computer-crashed-using-vegas.html)

Matthew Ewing July 21st, 2008 09:01 PM

Computer Crashed using vegas

Hi Folks.

I am/was in the middle of rendering a large 3-4GB file in AVI format to MPEG2. It was meant to take 4 hours and all was going fine for the first 2 hours. Then out of the blue. my machine just shut off.
My computer is about 2 weeks old and is the following set up :

Dual Core 2.6GHZ Processor
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT Video Card
3 Gigs of Ram
3GB/Sec SATA Hard drive
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

I built this computer myself so I included an Artic Cooling system for the CPU and my case has several case fans, so it stays pretty cool in their.
I have never ever had vegas crash like this. Is it possible that vegas got over worked?.
My computer is not showing any signs of over heating at all.

I have it also set to not shut of the Hard drive or go into sleep mode while rendering.
Pretty strange issue.

Michael Wisniewski July 21st, 2008 09:47 PM

Hard to say without more information. What happened when it crashed? I've known computers to get weird errors and re-boot/shut off when the CPU or memory overheated. Is this computer in an air-conditioned room? Check the BIOS to see if there's some sort of power saving mode that's switched on. Double-check the system/hardware/hard drive settings, make sure they are set to "ALWAYS ON" or something like that.

Jad Meouchy July 22nd, 2008 08:44 AM

sounds like a bad power supply, or an underrated one

has nothing to do with vegas

Matthew Ewing July 22nd, 2008 09:28 AM

HD is set to run at all times. My computer is in an Air Conditioned room that is around 70 degrees most times. Gets up to about 75 in the evening.

I dont know if it over heated or not, It showed no signs and If it is what happened, then i am highly annoyed with the artic cooling system I have.

My power suplly is a 480W power supply and was recommended as a solid product. It runs fine and is used everyday for maybe 8-9 hours.

But yeah, it just turned off half way during render.

Noa Put July 22nd, 2008 12:00 PM

Check the windows log books, they should give you an indication what happened during the auto shutdown.

Simon Denny July 22nd, 2008 04:33 PM

Could be you need a bigger power supply, it has happend to me. Get a 6oow and that should fix it. With drives spinning and proccesing /rendering going on, the poor old power supply takes a hit.
I could be wrong but that's what i would try.

Michael Wisniewski July 23rd, 2008 02:59 AM

Another thought. Is the Windows or any other auto update turned on? Vista for example can do it's thing then shutdown automatically. I got a fairly major auto-update a few days ago and I caught it before it did that. Anyway another thing to check. Also Adobe Reader, iTunes, Quicktime etc.

Ian Stark July 23rd, 2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 910835)
Another thought. Is the Windows or any other auto update turned on? Vista for example can do it's thing then shutdown automatically. I got a fairly major auto-update a few days ago and I caught it before it did that. Anyway another thing to check. Also Adobe Reader, iTunes, Quicktime etc.

Yeah, I've been caught out by that. Very annoying! I was actually very surprised when I discovered it had automatically rebooted the pc.

Matthew Ewing July 23rd, 2008 09:42 AM

Maybe it was updates, I have most programs on Manual for updates, but yes a few do update on auto mode. Thanks for all the great replies.

I will check out my logs and see what they say.