A little help with render settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM   #1
New Boot

A little help with render settings

Let me staret off by saying I am real green with all of this so please work with me.

I am working with Vegas 7 & 8. I capture HD video using Vegas straight from my camcorder. When I capture the video into Vegas am I losing any quality because I don't use cineform?

I also would like to render clips out after capture, so I can work with them in After Effects. After Effects does not like the original M2t files or something because I can't even scroll the clip in the timeline. What is the best type of render setting for Vegas so I can work with the clips in AE without much quality loss? Should I render out to uncompressed AVI? And should I de-interlace the footage and try to create a 24p frame rate before working with the footage in AE?

Thank you....
Jarrod Fegley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Fegley View Post
When I capture the video into Vegas am I losing any quality because I don't use cineform?
No.

Quote:
What is the best type of render setting for Vegas so I can work with the clips in AE without much quality loss? Should I render out to uncompressed AVI?
Uncompressed AVI will work. So would lossless AVI (like HuffYUV) and it would create much smaller files.

Quote:
And should I de-interlace the footage and try to create a 24p frame rate before working with the footage in AE?
What are you doing with the video? If you plan to have a finished 24p project, then you should deinterlace and decimate (change to 24fps) somewhere in the path. Might as well do that at the beginning of the process, and get the cleanest, smallest file you can.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
No.

Uncompressed AVI will work. So would lossless AVI (like HuffYUV) and it would create much smaller files.

What are you doing with the video? If you plan to have a finished 24p project, then you should deinterlace and decimate (change to 24fps) somewhere in the path. Might as well do that at the beginning of the process, and get the cleanest, smallest file you can.

I am going to upload the video to the internet.

So Cineform is just a way to save hard drive space and compress HD video without being lossy? And Cineform makes playing video in NLEs timeline alot faster?

Thanks for the aswers in my previous post.....
Jarrod Fegley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Cineform is an excellent compression codec, but it is not lossless.

Cineform makes playing videos in NLE's easier because it creates smaller files that are easier for computers to uncompress on the fly.

Quote:
So Cineform is just a way to save hard drive space and compress HD video without being lossy? And Cineform makes playing video in NLEs timeline alot faster?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...