DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Switching back to Vegas 7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/126508-switching-back-vegas-7-a.html)

Paul Cascio July 23rd, 2008 09:55 AM

Switching back to Vegas 7

I'm so frustrated with Vegas 8's disappearing act when I try to open files, that I'm considering going back to Vegas 7, at least temporarily. I will return to V8 once the problems are solved. I've wasted way too many hours of frustration. Very dissapointing.

I cannot understand why any prgram needs to crash and completely dissapear from the screen simply because of a perceived error in a data file. Imagine if Word crashed because I spelled Vegas wrong. :(

I was wondering if anyone has gone back to Vegas 7? I'm editng HDV and also just bought a An Aiptek Action 1080p as a toy. Great deal for $200 BTW.

Perrone Ford July 23rd, 2008 10:35 AM

I had Vegas 7 do the same disappearing act. I'm staying with Vegas 8 for any number of reasons.

Edward Troxel July 23rd, 2008 12:45 PM

Paul, did you try using the updated DLL referenced in another post here? That may help.

As for going back, you can't save as a "Vegas 7" version and Vegas 7 can't open a Vegas 8 file. So going back would be a difficult process.

Paul Cascio July 23rd, 2008 01:34 PM

I tried it. I'm at a loss at this point.

Jason Robinson July 23rd, 2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 911041)
I tried it. I'm at a loss at this point.

It may take a long time, and be a big hassle, but you could do a system wipe (fresh OS install) and put vegas on first. Obviously this is only if the problem is driving you completely crazy.

Paul Cascio July 23rd, 2008 02:23 PM

Funny you mentioned that as I am in the process of doing just that. I figure it's my last and final hope. It was a new computer so I didn't have a lot installed as of yet.

Any chance this is a hardware related thing? I uninstalled my video card just in case (Quadro FX1500) but NG. Memory?

Any correlation between having Vegas 7 installed prior to 8?

I love Vegas, but this is too much.

Michael Wisniewski July 23rd, 2008 07:18 PM

Paul are there specific files it closes down on? Had similar problems with Cineform when Vegas 8 first came out. Re-installed both and that cleared the problem on my system.

Paul Cascio July 24th, 2008 06:04 AM

I reinstalled the original Windows XP SP2 Edition, without any other updates or service packs. Then, I installed Vegas 8. I'l do a little testing today and then add the updates. I'll report back.

Michael, the problem seemed to happen no matter which file(s) I tried to place on the timeline.

Buba Kastorski July 24th, 2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 911300)
I reinstalled the original Windows XP SP2 Edition, without any other updates or service packs. Then, I installed Vegas 8. I'l do a little testing today and then add the updates. I'll report back.

I'll never go back to 7
please install SP3 + critical updates, and do your testing, works perfect on XP Pro SP3

Paul Cascio July 24th, 2008 05:28 PM

I'm cured!

Well, sort of. I did the dirty deed and reformated the hard drive and put a fresh XP install on it. This was an SP2 version of XP.

Next, I installed Vegas 8.0B and tested. OK, no problems except with certain files. I believe they were Cinform as I use NEO 3. Once I installed NEO, there were no more crashes. Thanks Michael W for putting me on the right track.

Then I updated all hardware drivers and retested Vegas. Again, OK.

Finally, I ran the SP3 update.

Conclusion:

Vegas has a bad habit of choking on it's food. Sony needs to put a checkpoint in so that if it gets fed a file it doesn't like, it issues an error message rather than instantly dissapearing from the screen.

I love Vegas, but I just wasted two days on this problem.