DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Titles & Photos render in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/126959-titles-photos-render-vegas.html)

Nick Stone July 29th, 2008 07:33 PM

Titles & Photos render in Vegas

I'm doing a test render run in Vegas Pro 8b and have noticed that photos i'm using in the time line (pal hd 1440*1080i ) when rendered out to mpeg2 have lost a bit of resoultion also the same with titles, Photos look like they are a bit pixelated and also titles seem to have jaggered edges.

Is this a common problem/ what do i need to do in order to fix theses?
Render settings
Max: 800,000
Avg: 600,000
Min : 200,000
two pass VBR

Nick

Perrone Ford July 29th, 2008 08:01 PM

You're trying to compress HD down into file sizes that are small for SD. Yes, it's going to look pixelated. Either give the codec some bandwidth, or reduce the size of your rendered file. Maybe to 1/2 or 1/4 size.

Rob Wood July 29th, 2008 09:33 PM

maybe try CBR instead of VBR. I had problems with text fades til I switched to CBR. I use a setting of about 6-7 meg... but i'm usually working toward SD output.

you may want to add black restore to the output so mpeg can focus on more visible content.

...if you're scaling to DVD I'd suggest applying a light unsharp mask to reduce softening.

Perrone Ford July 29th, 2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Wood (Post 914010)
I use a setting of about 6-7 meg... but i'm usually working toward SD output.

...if you're scaling to DVD I'd suggest applying a light unsharp mask to reduce softening.

He's scaling to web streaming rates. His average bit rate is 1/10 or less of what you said you are using.

Seth Bloombaum July 29th, 2008 10:03 PM

Some good resolution tricks:

Photos look good if they are perhaps double the project resolution. Or, double project resolution at the maximum zoom you're intending to use.

Never use track motion on photos that are being zoomed. Always use event pan/crop to maintain best resolution.

Always select "best" rendering quality when rendering from hd to sd, or, any other render that changes resolution. You take a significant rendering time hit, but it is usually well worth it.

Titles in the pre-vegas pro titler look better if the frame size in the titler is set at double project size, eg. 2880x2160 for your project. I've not yet checked this for pro-titler, but maybe also there...

For render settings, unless I'm really pushing past about 90 minutes on a DVD I use 4Mb as the minimum setting on VBR.

Seth Bloombaum July 29th, 2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 914016)
He's scaling to web streaming rates. His average bit rate is 1/10 or less of what you said you are using.

Um... MPEG2 is pretty uncommon for web streaming. If I remember, so is VBR.

But Perrone is right - something is screwy with the datarates. Should be, for example.
8Mbps
8,000Kbps
8,000,000bps

All are exactly the same rate, a common max bitrate for VBR on a DVD...

800,000 could be bps, if so, a bitrate supported by a good DSL connection. Guess we need some clarification from the original poster.

Perrone Ford July 29th, 2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 914022)
Um... MPEG2 is pretty uncommon for web streaming. If I remember, so is VBR.

Thats why I said rates... not codec. I suspected there was an error in encoding rates.

Nick Stone July 30th, 2008 12:52 AM

Thanks for your help.
I'm going from HD captured footage in project and Photos from a Photographer ( jpeg) then rendering the timeline to mpeg2 for DVD.
Maybe i will up the Max bitrate up 9meg and raise the Min bitrate to 4meg as suggested by Seth.
Project Render settings are.
Set to best

Nick

Perrone Ford July 30th, 2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Stone (Post 914070)
Thanks for your help.
I'm going from HD captured footage in project and Photos from a Photographer ( jpeg) then rendering the timeline to mpeg2 for DVD.
Maybe i will up the Max bitrate up 9meg and raise the Min bitrate to 4meg as suggested by Seth.
Project Render settings are.
Set to best

Nick

According to what you posted here, you've presently got your max bitrate set to less than 1 meg. 9 Meg is beyond the legal scope for DVD. A max of 8 Meg, an average of 6 or 7, and a minimum of 5 should put you where you need to be.

Seth Bloombaum July 30th, 2008 02:21 PM

Nick, a good and brief reference for the basics of preparing for DVD can be found in Volume 1 #7 of Edward Troxel's newsletters. Perrone is right - 9Mbps is too high for compatibility with dvd players, though it will work on most computers. His suggested bitrates are good, I usually use 8/6/4. If you have indeed been using 800,000 instead of 8,000,000 things are going to improve a lot!

Nick Stone July 30th, 2008 09:43 PM

Oh sorry guys I ment 8meg,6meg and so on.
I have raised the min birate to 4meg and this has helped. I guess low action in titles and photos, Vegas will use the least amount of bitrate.
This is a good program.

I'm currently testing Vegas,PPCS3 and Avid MC 2.8 on PC platform, so far veags is the easiest to work in.

Nick