New HDTV and 16x9 ratios at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Major Player

New HDTV and 16x9 ratios

I just recieved my first Hdtv "Sceptre 32"1080p costco for $599. It looks great hooked to hdmi cable but I noticed when I viewed some dvds I made using jvchd100 camera in 16x9 ratio that my options on the tv set are normal which uses only 60% of screen, widescreen which stretches it or zoom which zooms the normal view.
So why does the stuff I shot in 16x9 and edited in vegas 16x9 template still does not fill the entire screen without stretching it.
Do I need to render to another format?
Thanks.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bowey View Post
...when I viewed some dvds... So why does the stuff I shot in 16x9 and edited in vegas 16x9 template still does not fill the entire screen without stretching it.
Do I need to render to another format?
Assuming that you are seeing 16x9, but it is too small, and looks normal when zoomed...

DVD will be in standard def - your new set by default will show it at standard rez, a small piece of the HD screen. So, you normally would use the zoom button on the TV to use hardware to up the resolution to full screen.

Otherwise, to maintain HD through shoot, edit and viewing on your TV, you might render back to 720p HDV and put it on the HD100, then connect up the camcorder to the TV with RGB cables (because the HD100 doesn't have HDMI out, right? I don't have an HD100...)

If you're saying that the pic is 4x3, then you need to make sure that you're rendering to a widescreen template and that you're using a widescreen project in your dvd authoring program.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...