DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is Vegas the Best PC-Based Solution for EX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/127135-vegas-best-pc-based-solution-ex1.html)

John Gilmore August 1st, 2008 08:15 AM

Is Vegas the Best PC-Based Solution for EX1?

I'm thinking of buying Vegas to support my newly acquired EX1.

Is this the best soultion for me since I'm a PC, rather than Apple, user?

Bill Ravens August 1st, 2008 08:46 AM

not necessarily. Edius integrates with the Sony EZ1 clip browser in a much more compatible way.

John Gilmore August 1st, 2008 08:57 AM

OK thanks Bill, I'll look into it.

By the way, is this the best sub-forum to place my request. I thought I may be asking the already-converted but couldn't see anywhere else.

George Kroonder August 1st, 2008 09:04 AM

Or Avid Media Composer 3. Supports XDCAM EX natively on Windows as well as Mac OS.

George/

Seth Bloombaum August 1st, 2008 09:37 AM

Edius and Avid MC3 are fine products...

So is Vegas. It does support EX1 video after rewrapping using the application supplied with the camcorder. Some find this troublesome. There's speculation whether this will be addressed on the next point release. EX1/Vegas users seem to think that native ingest is on Sony's short list.

Which editing environment would suit you best? This isn't just about EX1 ingest. You can download trial versions and spend a little time with them - then you may have a clear picture of what NLE best suits your projects and workflow.

John Gilmore August 1st, 2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 915161)
There's speculation whether this will be addressed on the next point release.

So are Vegas point releases available free-of-charge to registered users or do you have to pay an upgrade fee?

What about version upgrades, is the fee a reasonable proportion of the cost of a new licence?

Mike Kujbida August 1st, 2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Gilmore (Post 915360)
So are Vegas point releases available free-of-charge to registered users or do you have to pay an upgrade fee?

They've always been free.

Quote:

What about version upgrades, is the fee a reasonable proportion of the cost of a new licence?
For the first 30 days of a new version, it's always very reasonable.
For example, Vegas 7 to Vegas 8 (including DVD Architect) was $135.
After 30 days, it's only $235.00 which is still very reasonable.

John Gilmore August 2nd, 2008 02:03 AM

Anyone know the likely release date of Vegas 9 or is it still a long wayoff?

Mike Kujbida August 2nd, 2008 06:16 AM

We're still waiting for 8.0c to be released (supposedly sometime this summer) so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Vegas 9.

Jason Robinson August 2nd, 2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 915506)
We're still waiting for 8.0c to be released (supposedly sometime this summer) so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Vegas 9.

probably fall. That seems to be the Vegas release time. Just search the forums for "vegas7 release date" and you should see about when it was released last year. I know I upgraded in that 30 day window (and I had Vegas 6). I initially thought I would skip 8, but the dockable multi-window memorized tool layouts feature completely sold me. I do the "Alt-V, Y #" combination almost once and hour or more when switching from multi track view, to CC view, to searching media view, etc. Completely worth the price of the upgrade just for that one feature.