DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Embedding for web (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/127240-embedding-web.html)

Jake Latendresse August 2nd, 2008 02:50 PM

Embedding for web

What is the best way to render and embed the video to a website...say, to a forum like this one??

Thanks,
Jake

Chris Davis August 2nd, 2008 03:02 PM

Best? There's probably a thousand different ways. Easiest? A link to YouTube.

The owner of this board would have to add custom code to allow embedding of videos in this forum.

Jake Latendresse August 2nd, 2008 03:36 PM

Link? as in a direct link to a youtube account? I am looking for a way to embed videos into my website so that the video player is on the screen and a simple click to launch it.

I have a vBulletin message board and I simply want to be able to display my videos...directly.

Chris Davis August 2nd, 2008 04:21 PM

YouTube provides HTML code to embed the video in any web page. On the right side, just under the description is "Embed". Copy that code into any HTML page.

Another simple option is to use the JW Media Player. It's free for non-commercial use, and very cheap for commercial use (like $20 per site.)

Here's an example of how I'm using it: http://www.famousdavispro.com/Page/CCS.aspx

If you want to enable users to embed YouTube or Break.com videos in your vBulletin forums, here is some info.

Pietro Impagliazzo August 2nd, 2008 05:07 PM

Vimeo (www.vimeo.com)
or use the Longtail (Old JW - http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=LongTail_Video) media player: http://unidadezero.com/low.html
(Notice the link under the video that will take you to a higher quality one).

Hope it helps.

Jake Latendresse August 2nd, 2008 05:56 PM

OK..so I downloaded the JW media player to my computer and I am reading the "Read Me" instructions, however, much of it looks like Chinese to me...can someone kindly hold my hand through "Method #1//The Embed Code (Simple)"

I apologize for the ignorance, but Im not savvy to this at all!!!

Jake

Should this thread be moved??

Jeff Harper August 3rd, 2008 12:31 AM

If you use Dreamweaver to edit your site, you can embed a flash video on your web page with that quite easily.

Youtube, as mentioned, is fine if quality doesn't matter. If you are new to web video, the JW player might seem a bit complicated. Play with it....it does seem complicated at first, but if you work at it you'll figure it out....you have to set your mind to it.

Jake Latendresse August 3rd, 2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 915796)
If you use Dreamweaver to edit your site, you can embed a flash video on your web page with that quite easily.

Youtube, as mentioned, is fine if quality doesn't matter. If you are new to web video, the JW player might seem a bit complicated. Play with it....it does seem complicated at first, but if you work at it you'll figure it out....you have to set your mind to it.

Quality does matter. Ive been using Vimeo and feel comfortable with it ( I dont like Youtube)...I also use Vegas Pro 8 and feel comfortable with that.

My snag is, "when I go into my administrative editing windows (within my website), where do I apply this JW player?"

Jeff Harper August 3rd, 2008 09:04 AM

What do you edit your web site with? Or do you not have a website/domain of your own? I think I'm confused.

If that is the case, and if I've misunderstood, I don't have any answers, except to say youtube and vimeo are great, and JW player will not work unless you are working on your own website/domain.

Jeff Harper August 3rd, 2008 09:19 AM

Sorry Jake, I didn't read all of your posts all of the way through...I think I understand you are are trying to display video on some else's website, a message board, correct?

In that case I'm sorry, I have no ideas...I only know how to work with my own web pages, those that I run and own, etc.

If you are trying to install a video on someone else'e website, like in a chat room, etc., or in a forum like this, you can only use text links, etc unless the website itself provides you tools, as Youtube and Vimeo do.

You cannot legally embed a video anywhere except where the tools are provided for you like Youtube, or on your own website.

You cannot/may not ever embed a video anywhere else, like this forum for example.

Jake Latendresse August 3rd, 2008 09:22 AM

I have my own website...with a message board just like this one.

I would like to place video applications within my website and on threads within my message board, avoiding links...

In other words, I want the JW Player with skin to be visible so users can simply click on the player and bingo!

I have downloaded the JW Media player with skin, I just dont know now to apply it now????

Jeff Harper August 3rd, 2008 09:26 AM

So what do you edit your website with? JW Player is installed and edited with an website editor like Front Page, Dreamweaver, etc. unless vBulletin has something built-in.

I did a quick look up of vBulletin and see what you mean, it is the same shell, or program that this forum is created with.

Count me out, I know nothing about this, sorry. Good luck.

Jake Latendresse August 3rd, 2008 09:38 AM

Well, right now I have access to my message board through the vBulletin administrative link. It gives me full control over my message board.

I do not, however, have access to my website until Monday. Creative Answer built my website...but Iim not sure what editor they use...yet.

Seth Bloombaum August 3rd, 2008 02:34 PM

As more info comes out it seems that the biggest obstacle is html editing.

Possibly, you should have Creative Answer embed the player you want. It sounds like this would be your first time editing html - if you want to get into it, great. If you only need to touch something every year or two you're unlikely to get sufficient motivated time to learn html. Html isn't particularly difficult, but it is a discipline unto itself, and there's a fair amount to understand from the get-go.

OTOH, sticking in some embed code is as easy as downloading the existing page code, editing it in notepad, then uploading it back to the server. That would be a great exercise - go to the page you want to edit and View | Source. See if that code means anything to you - that's what you'd be editing.

Chris Davis August 4th, 2008 07:48 AM

Jake, That link I provided gives you the info you need to embed videos in a vBulletin forum. As the administrator, you can add that. It currently only works with YouTube and Break.com, but if you dig deeper, you may find a solution for Vimeo.

BTW, you should probably be asking this question over at vBulletin.com. This particular forum is about editing in Vegas.