Rendering Filters at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: london UK
Posts: 170
Rendering Filters

I've noticed that some filters don't render as they look in the preview, they render less extreme. For instance Vitascene's defocus filter renders much less blurred than it looks on the preview. Also when I render film effects the grain, hairs, spots etc look much less extreme.

Anybody know why this might be?
__________________
www.springproductions.co.uk
Tony Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor, ON Canada
Posts: 2,765
Is your preview window set to Best/Full?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Old Boot
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
Also when I render film effects the grain, hairs, spots etc look much less extreme.
This is starting to "ring-a-bell"? What version, release and build of Vegas are you using?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: london UK
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Is your preview window set to Best/Full?
No I use preview/auto. When I render to new track the render looks very different.
__________________
www.springproductions.co.uk
Tony Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: london UK
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
This is starting to "ring-a-bell"? What version, release and build of Vegas are you using?

Grazie
I'm using Pro 8b with Cineform intermediate files, renders are to Cineform too.
__________________
www.springproductions.co.uk
Tony Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor, ON Canada
Posts: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
No I use preview/auto. When I render to new track the render looks very different.
With that setting, I'd expect it to look different.
The resolution of the Preview window on preview/auto is half of what it is for best/full.
Look at the numbers in the bottom left corner of the preview window and you'll see what I mean.
I get the same "lower quality" effect if I'm previewing text.
At preview/auto, it looks soft and fuzzy.
At best/full, it's crisp and clear.
If you can't do a proper preview at the setting, do a RAM render of a short piece.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: london UK
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
With that setting, I'd expect it to look different.
The resolution of the Preview window on preview/auto is half of what it is for best/full.
Look at the numbers in the bottom left corner of the preview window and you'll see what I mean.
I get the same "lower quality" effect if I'm previewing text.
At preview/auto, it looks soft and fuzzy.
At best/full, it's crisp and clear.
If you can't do a proper preview at the setting, do a RAM render of a short piece.
But if the render and the unrendered event are compared on the same timeline in the same preview window shouldn't they look exactly the same?
__________________
www.springproductions.co.uk
Tony Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Sponsor: VASST
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
But if the render and the unrendered event are compared on the same timeline in the same preview window shouldn't they look exactly the same?
No, because one is an approximation of what the filter "might do" and the other is the exact result of what the filter "did" do. In the latter case the preview has the real result of the defocus so it doesn't have to approximate the FX. It's just approximating the resolution. Look at them both in Best (Full) mode. They should look the same.

~jr
__________________
Developer: VASST Ultimate S, Scattershot 3D, Mayhem, FASST Apps, and other VASST Software plug-ins
Web Site: www.johnrofrano.com
John Rofrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: london UK
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano View Post
No, because one is an approximation of what the filter "might do" and the other is the exact result of what the filter "did" do. In the latter case the preview has the real result of the defocus so it doesn't have to approximate the FX. It's just approximating the resolution. Look at them both in Best (Full) mode. They should look the same.

~jr
Thanks John & Mike. I understand now that "preview" is exactly that, but why do some filters render out as they look in the preview while others don't? I can't get Newblue film looks to render anything like it looks in the preview.
__________________
www.springproductions.co.uk
Tony Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Sponsor: VASST
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 516
Preview is a trade-off of quality for frame rate. Some filters are light on the CPU and the preview doesn't have to sacrifice much quality to keep the frame rate up. Other filters are heavy on the CPU and so more quality is sacrificed in order to keep the frame rate acceptable. This will cause different filters to preview differently. Film Looks usually uses very CPU intensive processing so you may see more of a difference between Preview and Good or Best.

~jr
__________________
Developer: VASST Ultimate S, Scattershot 3D, Mayhem, FASST Apps, and other VASST Software plug-ins
Web Site: www.johnrofrano.com
John Rofrano is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network