Can I get Vegas to play a sound when finished rendering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Wrangler

Can I get Vegas to play a sound when finished rendering?

I have some renders that take a long time, and when I want to do a lot of them, there's considerable time wasted in between renders if I leave that computer to do other nearby tasks. Does Vegas have the option to play a chime or a sound to alert me when it has finished its render task?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

No, Vegas doesn't have any means of sounding an "alarm" saying it's done rendering. However, if you have several renders you need done, you might consider using a batch render program which would be able to do several renders back to back. Tools - Scripting - Batch Render would be a good starting place.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Wrangler

OK, on to Plan B. When it's rendering, Vegas uses virtually 100% of my processor cycles. Is there any little freeware utility out there that can detect if my System Idle Process uses up a number of cycles above some threshold and will then sound an alarm?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Wrangler

Don't know a specific program, but you could try searching for scripts under Windows Script Host. I've used WSH a few times to create VB programs that monitor servers for certain events. Like when an FTP upload/download completes, a database finishes backing up, or a particular program is no longer running etc.
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Wrangler

There's also something called WinBatch, but I'm not sure how sophisticated it is.
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #6

I've heard of some people using a program to shut down their system after the cpu cycles dropped below a certain amount for a specific length of time. I don't remember the name of the program they were using, though.
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I seem to remember that sqite a while ago, someone on the Sony Vegas forum wrote a script or filter plugin to do just this; beep at the end of a render. I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

Also, the shut-down program based on CPU cycles is here:

http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinOFF.php
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Someone did write a script or small program for this
a while back.

try this vegasist

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=486292
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Disable over eighty percent to render warning

Since we’re on the general subject, does anyone know how to turn off the “over 80 percent needs to render, do you want to proceed” warning when doing something like printing to tape? It’s burned me SO many times.
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Since we’re on the general subject, does anyone know how to turn off the “over 80 percent needs to render, do you want to proceed” warning when doing something like printing to tape? It’s burned me SO many times.
Don't change more than 80% of the project???? :-)
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

That would make things easier wouldn't it Mr. Troxel :)

Most of the time that happens when I drop video in from somewhere like Premiere into Vegas so I can add a bug or watermark. I process a lot of video some days, and when ever I am in a hurry and hit print to tape and forget to wait for the warning to pop up, I come back an hour or two later, and there is that warning just sitting their mocking me :(
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #12

Yeah, adding a bug will definitely do it. I just sit and wait until it goes through the first progress bar to see what pops up before it goes on.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...