Help needed for best quality on my 1st finished video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help needed for best quality on my 1st finished video

I was not sure if this belonged in the Vegas section or here but since I use a Canon A1 and edit with Vegas I will put them in each.
I notice image quality suffers at different levels once the video is edited then rendered in all the different ways we can render them for viewing our end results. Nothing beats the play back quality of the footage on tape as originally captured, or does it?
I could sure use some help on my best options for both watching my finished video on my own HDTV at home and then for the best rendering method for the best quality for posting the videos at Vimeo.
Also, How many of you re-record your edited videos back onto tape for your personal viewing?
Thanks for the help.
Tim
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Please don't cross-post on this site. The topic is first and foremost about Vegas, so this is where it belongs -- I've removed the one in the XH forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Duly noted Chris. My Apologies to the site.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

to record back to tape in Vegas simply goto the capture program and goto the print to tape tab, put a tape in the deck hit record and go.

As for the quality issue, well there are tons of variables and you haven't said what format you are rendering to or the time lenght ofthe video or the bitrates if rendering to MPG.
Once you give us some information we can start to help otherwise it shotgunning with a blindfold on.
I will say though that over the many years I have been using Vegas and the thousands of DVDs I have produced including many that have been seen on 60 inch and larger TVs there has never been an issue with quality. Of course on my sons 103 inch projection xcreen it does break up a little but that's because its DV shot on 1/3 inch chips and has nothing to do with Vegas.

Give us some info and we'll see if we can help you out.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
to record back to tape in Vegas simply goto the capture program and goto the print to tape tab, put a tape in the deck hit record and go.
Hmmm... while that will work, to print back to tape I've always just gone to Tools - Print to DV Tape.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

yeah I thought about that after I posted. I worked late last night and got up early and didn't think about tools before I wrote my response. Plus I can't remember the last time I PTT'd :-O

Thanks Edward
(back to loading tapes-ugh!)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well I am too in the same boat as the OP. I have a clip that is 14 minutes in length shot with canon HG10 in 24P format. I have been trying to figure out the best way to render for DVD. At the moment i have been using WMV because when i rendered mainconcept 2 which is mpeg 2 it converted to M2t file and the size was 2.6 gb. I also tried avi and that too didnt work as disc in PS3 could not be recognized for some reason after burning it and the size for avi was too big for 14 minute clip came to around 3.2 gb. I tried that with the I believe HDV setting maybe, but what should I use DVD NTSC setting widescreen and avi, mpeg or wmv?

I am sure there is a better way but i have been working on it since yesterday and with rendering it takes close to 1.5 hours for a 14 minute clip which is too long. I am new to Vegas and am sure there are better and efficient ways to burn onto DVD. I want to watch it through my PS3 on the 52" LCD HDTV and just need to know whats the best settings.

Can someone please suggest a setting I will have friends over tonight and I want to show them the clip from our cricket game some highlights I created but putting them up on youtube does not do justice to the quality that it can have while watching on HDTV.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry to Hi-Jack ur thread but I am sure OP can also benefit from this as well as I am sure that is what he was trying to inquire about as well.
Karim Amanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

any help please????
Karim Amanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Karim

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to do.

Do you want to watch your footage in standard or high definition?

If standard def - then when you render select Main Concept mpeg 2 - with a template of NTSC Widescreen 24p. When it's finished, render again (audio) - this time selecting Dolby Digital AC3 Pro - give the file exactly the same name as the Mpeg 2 (but the suffix will be ac3).

When it's finished open DVD Architect - select Single Movie at the startup screen, drag the Mpeg 2 file into the work area - it will automatically also import the AC3. Then Burn Disc.

If you want high def - then the easiest way, assuming you have a Blu Ray burner is, from Vegas, select Tools menu, then Burn to Disc - Blu Ray disc.

If you don't have a Blu Ray burner - Vegas will let you burn small high def timeline to a standard DVD - but whether your player will play it or not is a different matter. I jus tried on a PS3 and it didn't play. But that may have been the type of DVDs I was using.

Finally you could render to WMV using the HD 1080 template and output your PC to your TV?

DVDs have to be rendered as MPEG2. If you render as AVI and somehow burn it onto a DVD it will effectively be a data disc and wil only play on a PC.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Curious if you were ever able to determine a good method to export your video's onto a standard DVD disk for playback in High Definition on a big screen 1080p TV?

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...