DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   sony PDW-700 with vegas 8? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/127705-sony-pdw-700-vegas-8-a.html)

Mark McCarthy August 9th, 2008 04:52 AM

sony PDW-700 with vegas 8?

Hello all. I am currently a very happy F350L owner editing with Sony Vegas 8. Really nice work flow. However, I am thinking about upgrading to a sony PDW 700, but would I be able to edit the 50mpbs footage with Vegas 8. I think Vegas 8 can only go up to 35mpbs. If anyone could advise I would be very grateful, esp on how I could bring the footage into my pc.
Thanks again

Sparky
www.sparkymedia.net

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 10th, 2008 11:40 PM

No worries, mate...bring it in.
Already doing this on one project downconverted from HDCAM

Mark McCarthy August 11th, 2008 02:31 AM

Hi Douglas
Thanks for takig the time to reply. I'm not sure what you mean. When you bring the PDW-700 footage into Vegas what format are the files? How are you bringing in the footage?
Thanks
Sparky

Scott Richardson August 26th, 2008 03:32 PM

Vegas 8 and XDCAM

Hi,
Vegas 8.0b wont work with the new XDCAM HD 4:2:2 format, it wont work until 8.0c is released at IBC (I'm told). I was very disappointed when i got my new PDW700 only to find out that Vegas doesn't support it. The codecs aren't in Vegas 8.0b. I'm told the software is ready to go but until he offical release too bad.

I think the file format is MXF, I can get the Sony software to load it onto the drives and view it, i just can't edit with it!! Don't use the discs that ship with the PDW700 or U1, these are out of date and don't work. You'll need to download the new drivers and software from Sony.

Sony were happy to sell me a camera and U1 reader but i can't do ANYTHING with the vision unless i go to FCP or capture everything at realtime through HDSDI. The downside that the files captured through HDSDI are massive.

I thought Sony might be more helpful to their loyal customers.

Kind regards,
Scott

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 26th, 2008 04:10 PM

it's a significant mistake to connect Sony Creative Software and Sony Broadcast. Sony Broadcast in Japan barely acknowledges their software brothers. Sony USA barely recognizes Sony Creative.
Sad, but that's how umbrella corporations usually are.
There have been MANY situations where I've known more about what cameras and formats are in the hopper than the Creative Software people do....

Scott Richardson August 31st, 2008 04:51 AM

Final Cut Pro got their act together.

Final Cut Pro managed to get their act together, you think Sony could have released the upgrade, I'm told it is ready to go. Sony Creative are waiting for IBC to release it, too bad for the end users waiting to edit.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 31st, 2008 11:16 AM

in the same vein as what I wrote earlier...You'd probably have a difficult time believing that Apple would have rec'd the SDK before Sony Creative, but you can bet that's the case.
There was a time a few years back that I saw a camera in the Apple offices that Sony Creative hadn't seen yet.
Huge degrees of separation between Sony Electronics, Sony Medical, Sony Broadcast, Sony Creative, etc. Sad, but true (of most any umbrella corp)