Any Samsung 1Tb Hard Drive Users? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Any Samsung 1Tb Hard Drive Users?

Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache*

This isn't really Vegas but I couldn't see anywhere else to put it and I reckoned it would be of interest.

In the middle of a minor catastrphe with one of the above. Could have been a lot worse, all I may have lost is time. Brand new drive has started freezing on me and occasionaly not being recognised on post.

And yes....the ironic part is all my other drives are RAID.

At worst I just need to re-capture 6hrs of footage (oh joy!)

Done a bit of digging and on Newegg this drive seems to be getting a fair percentage of bad reviews.

Just thought I'd throw it out there as a "one to watch"

Anyone else fallen foul of this drive?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Unfortunately I have three of these drives, and I'm very unhappy with them. The first was fine....but they are not quality drives, clearly. Freezing, etc, has happened to me as well. I'm waiting for the new Seagate 1.5 tb internals and I'm getting rid of the Samsung...they are not reliable.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

huge drives are cheap, but the drawback is huge loss of data too in case of problem.
you should always use these disk in a mirrored pair.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Roll on solid state drives. I think I am correct in saying that the Hard Drive is viewed as the weakest link in PC's these days. It is the only moving component that relies on mechanical operation other than fans.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146929

Prices will come down and sizes will increase. Not a moment too soon!
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Major Player

The first four I put in a RAID-5 and were fine for several months, so I ordered four more recently for another 3 TB RAID-5 array. Two of the disks in the new array are malfunctioning, which is regrettable.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

FWIW the new Caviar Black line appears to be pretty well designed. I just ordered one to hold me over as I phase out the Samsungs. The below review is interesting, even though I have seen another review that states the opposite.

http://www.storagereview.com/4_drive...mance_database

Last edited by Jeff Harper; August 12th, 2008 at 03:52 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

we have seen that with PC.
When the price of a processor dropped so low and the performance topped at the limit, what they do ? They put 2 processors in a PC ! (the equivalent of raid).
and then they put 2 processor in the same chip.
I wouldn't surprised if they come next with some drive with integrated mirroring.
That would be easy, they got te tehcnology for one platter disk and for multiplatter disk.
So they just add a few electronic inside and that is done.
that could save the maket for mechanical disk (they could claim same reliability as SSD) and keep price high.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Very good point. I bet we all know someone whos lost info to a bad hard drive. This would at least give a bit of a safety net. Still a bit more risky than two actual seperate physical drives.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #9
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i have 2 of them in PC for past few months ... using raid 0 in editing computer ..
Red 4k down converted in FCP to 2k cineform.mov .. then clips moved over network to PC ...
i do backup all clips that are on raid to external 1394b drives ...
i setup Vegas project as 1080p/24 then modify to 2k ...
vegas plays back the cineform QT RT in vegas preview window ..
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Inner Circle

While no one hate to admit they are wrong more than I, I must admit my earlier bashing of my Samsung drives might have been erroneous...but I am not 100% sure.

1. I had a bad Velociraptor, which I presumed to be working correctly, it was not. When encountering problems transferring files between Velociraptor and Samsung, I automatically assumed it was the Samsung. I have found since the Velociraptor was bad.

2. Transferring files from my Samsungs have been troublesome, and I did an exhaustive investigation and found corrupted files.

I have also come to believe that when transferring 150GB files, it is probably better to break down the transfer into sections. For example, when the folder contains 90% video files and sub-folders containing DVDA project files and Mpegs, photos, etc., it is probably better to transfer the video files, then move the sub-folders separately.

I have come to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that a large folder with sub folders is more complex for the OS to deal with than just files of one kind. All of my troublesome transfers have involved folders that contained over 100GB of .avi video clips AND sub folders with archived DVDA files, including mpeg files, photos, etc.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...