Table of Contents list at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 13th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Table of Contents list

How do I create a Table of Contents/track list that I can then paste into another program (MS Publisher) from the named markers in DVDA 5?

Last edited by Dan Bridges; August 13th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Dan Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #2
Old Boot

Dan, I'm assuming you have the original Vegas Project? Check out the Edit Details View for MARKERS and copy paste that? Dunno about doing this from within DVDA, what ever flavour . .?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Graham, unfortunately that did not work. It shows 298 tracks but no marker labels.
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Old Boot

Can you SEE the Markers in Vegas? Where did the marker labels come from? Now I want to understand this.

Interesting

Grazie
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Can you SEE the Markers in Vegas? Where did the marker labels come from? Now I want to understand this.

Interesting

Grazie
I manually entered them ("M" key) to indicate the start of new items in a live concert recording.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Old Boot

Wow! 298 Tracks!?

Dan? You entered them manually IN Vegas? Then you WILL have a list of these markers in Edit Detail View. I checked this yesterday. Make sure you use the Drop-Down menu in Edit Detail View to select Markers.

It was then a simple case of Highlight the info > Copy > Paste - and for my test it went straight into MS Notepad.

It does work. If not then I am still interested.

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; August 14th, 2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: I missed additional info and comment
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Wow! 298 Tracks!?

Dan? You entered them manually IN Vegas? Then you WILL have a list of these markers in Edit Detail View. I checked this yesterday. Make sure you use the Drop-Down menu in Edit Detail View to select Markers.

It was then a simple case of Highlight the info > Copy > Paste - and for my test it went straight into MS Notepad.

It does work. If not then I am still interested.

Grazie
Thank you for the guidance, Graham. That's what I want. I would have not have thought to look there without someone pointing it out.
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Some further observations. I had an out-of-sequence marker, #28, between #7 & #8. (I found out afterwards that I'd missed the start of another track). Well, when I rendered to mpeg-2 and opened it in DVDA 5, the markers were renumbered correctly, with #28 becoming #8. Also, in Vegas 8, using Graham's method of getting a list of marker labels to use as track names, marker #28 was in the list as the 8th item, so it was usable without needing to be relocated.
Old August 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Dan. If you ever want to reorder the markers in Vegas so that the numbers are in running order, there is a way to do it.

In the Edit Details window, with Show Markers selected, select all the rows and then Ctl-X to cut them, then Ctl-V to paste them back again. When they are pasted back they willl be in sequence. Try it out on a dummy project first until you see how it works, because you can't undo this.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Richard, I've tried this in Vegas 8b and it doesn't seem to work. In Edit Details | Markers, I see two columns: Position; Name. I can select a range in a column using the shift-key, and using this at the beginning & end of a column, I can select the whole column, but I can't select both columms at once, nor can I use Ctrl-A to select everything. Furthermore, once selected, while copy & paste are available, cut is grayed out.

Correction: just found out how to do it. You need to select the range of gray numbers on the the left. That selects both columns and you can then Ctrl-x. See example:
Attached Thumbnails
Table of Contents list-capture-1.jpg  
Old August 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #11
Trustee

Hi Dan. Yes that's right, it's just not so obvious at first. Glad you got it working.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

The marker NUMBERS really don't make any difference. It's the POSITION of the marker that counts.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...