DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Orphan Tool in Excalibur (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/12861-orphan-tool-excalibur.html)

Glen Elliott August 5th, 2003 05:55 AM

Orphan Tool in Excalibur

I was working in Vegas last night and came across a situation when I needed the orphan tool to regain audio I had earlier deleted. I ran the tool and the audio was returned, however it isn't "locked" to the video. In other words when I drag my video the audio stays, and vice versa. Is there a way to re-link the audio/video so that they move together without having to manually select both before dragging? Also is this normal for the Orphan tool to do (ie when the audio is returned it's not linked to the video)?

Edward Troxel August 5th, 2003 06:56 AM

After it is re-added, select both pieces and press "G" to "group" them back together. Grouping is currently not scriptable.

Glen Elliott August 5th, 2003 10:22 AM

Wow, that was easy. I don't remember reading about grouping in the instructional manual- must have missed that one. Thanks!

Edward Troxel August 5th, 2003 10:57 AM

See pages 125/126

Glen Elliott August 5th, 2003 12:19 PM

Don't tell me you know that out of your head! I know your a Vegas guru and all but knowing areas of the Vegas manual like some know chapter and verse in the bible is insaine! lol

Edward Troxel August 5th, 2003 12:43 PM

I cheated. I looked at the PDF file that is on this computer for reference purposes! :-)

Glen Elliott August 5th, 2003 12:58 PM

Awww see now you messed it up- you should have kept quiet and tried to maintain your omnipotent guru aura. ;)

Bob Benkosky August 13th, 2003 09:44 PM

What's this Excaliber? What does this do?

Don Bloom August 14th, 2003 05:06 AM

Excalibur is a plugin written by the omnipotent guru (how's that Edward?) and another Vegas guru, Gary Kleiner, that makes life so easy when using Vegas Video, I almost have my dog doing edits for me ;-)

Excalibur has a number of prescripted tasks in it, goto www.vegastoolsandtraining.com and check it out. If you use Vegas, you need to have this program.

Don

Edward Troxel August 14th, 2003 07:25 AM

Sorry, I can't live up to "omnipotent". But I do what I can.

Excalibur originally started as a way to make multi-cam editing easier and, thus, was born the Multi-Cam Wizard. Expanding on that idea, since the clips must be in sync to edit, the Sync Wizard was born. Then 10 other wizards were added giving you 12 tools you can assign to a single toolbar button including, as this post started, the Orphan Wizard. I find them very useful.

Graham Bernard August 18th, 2003 01:08 PM

Multi Cam Saved My Backside!

Have used the MCWiz for a complex dance sequence - Worked like a dream. It did 100 odd camera switches within 10 seconds - fabulous.

Grazie

Rob Lohman August 20th, 2003 08:51 AM

I'm still not sure what the orphan tool exactly does.... Can someone
give a clear explenation of this, please?

Edward Troxel August 20th, 2003 09:22 AM

I believe I can answer that :-)

Sometimes, when editing, you may have been working with an audio or video segment and, "because you didn't need it," you delete the other (or you messed up and deleted it but have since done so many things you don't want to undo). So now you have an audio clip with no video or a video clip with no audio. What do you do if you then decide you really wanted to keep the video or audio? You run Orphan Wizard.

Select the video clip, run Orphan Wizard, and the corresponding audio will be added back to the project and in perfect alignment (NOTE: They will NOT be group but will be aligned correctly).

Straight from the manual:
The Orphan Wizard will add a missing audio or video event matching the selected video or audio event. For example, if the
audio had been accidentally deleted, clicking on the video event and running Orphan Wizard would bring the matching
audio event into an Orphan track. The audio event could then be moved to the desired location.

Rob Lohman August 20th, 2003 09:34 AM

Ah... that expains it. Thanks! Too bad grouping still isn't accessable
through scripting. Could use it on Lady X. Oh well.