DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Colour Correction Summary (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/129387-colour-correction-summary.html)

Richard Jones September 5th, 2008 07:41 AM

Colour Correction Summary

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I hope some of you might find the attached aide-memoire about colour and colour correction of use. I hope it's reasonably complete and correct but please feel free to make any input you might think useful.

The document is a Word document broken into Tables and is designed to fit on to two sided of A4 paper (which I've laminated and keep by my side when I'm working with Vegas)

Best Wishes,

Richard Jones

Ron German September 5th, 2008 07:45 AM

Thank you for your work, Richard.
Best
Ron

Brian Luce September 5th, 2008 08:27 AM

Great stuff. Did you create document?

Graham Bernard September 5th, 2008 11:48 PM

My earliest of comments are:

A] Well Done!

B] I feel that your comment at the end, on the Brightness and Contrast Fx, should appear at the beginning!

C] Unless I missed it, you carefully explain Previewing but it would appear you omit the valuable Clipboard comparison option. Why?

D] Your Measuring tools are carefully delineated vertically. But should the horizontal delineations have any relationship to each other? It is kind of implied/indicated, as they are gridded horizontally, and you have delineated the tools vertically, which I found counter-informative. How about if you removed the continuous horizontal grid lines? Unless I have got this totally wrong.

E] I like your explanation of the "COLOUR CORRECTION TECHNIQUES". Are you also indicating a critical-path workflow by doing/indicating it this way? Meaning: Do Step 1:Exposure > Do Step 2:Set White Balance then . . . . ?

How about including a colour sample to indicate the issue?

Very well done. It will influence many a starter and this memory-challenged individual too!

Best regards

Grazie

Richard Jones September 6th, 2008 04:37 AM

Thanks for your supportive comments - they are much appreciated and any further advice will be welcomed.

Yes, Brian, it was my own work although compiled after a fair bit of research before being condensed into these Tables. When I came to look at colour I found the subject so vast and the instructions/guidance available so complex that I had to reduce it to this sort of analysis to keep myself on track without wasting too much time.

Grazie, many thanks for your considered and, as always, helpful comments. Looking at them:-

B. Good point and well taken.

C. Space was a problem. I wanted to keep it within two pages of A4 but will see if this can be done (in truth, I had thought I'd included it but I suppose we're all entitled to a senior moment now and again!)

D. No, you are right and this worried me as well. I'll give it some more thought.

E. No. I had originally given sequential numbers to the techniques but decided that this was suggesting a Work Flow which will not always be appropriate or suit everyone's way of working (although Expoasure and White balance are arghuably the best starting pointss before moving on to apply other techniques).

I should have loved to include a colour sample(s) but space was the problem as I wanted this to be a memory aid rather than a complete guide to colour. My hope that if anyone wants to explore an aspect any further this will help guide them to the appropriate instructions in the manuals, text books etc.

Best Wishes,

Richard

Paul Cascio September 6th, 2008 05:45 AM

Thanks, this is very welcome information.

Richard Jones September 9th, 2008 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to round this off, I've adjusted the chart to reflect most of the suggestions and now attach this in case it is of interest.

Regards,

Richard

Rob Wood September 9th, 2008 08:24 AM

nice! always like looking at snapshot summaries of all things nle... thx for posting!

-rob

Ian Stark September 9th, 2008 10:30 AM

Enormously appreciated Richard. Many thanks. I feel I should buy you a pint as you're just up the road!

Karim Amanali September 9th, 2008 01:08 PM

Thank you!

Thank you So Much, Just what I needed as a beginner :).

Cheers.

Ian Stark September 9th, 2008 01:14 PM

Beginner?!? I've worked with Vegas for 6+ years and it's just what I needed as well!!

James Binder September 9th, 2008 02:22 PM

Thanks! great stuff --

Mark Stavar September 9th, 2008 04:12 PM

Dude, this is awesome!

May your camel have many offspring! :-)

thx

marks