DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas studio platinum won't capture DV. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/129397-vegas-studio-platinum-wont-capture-dv.html)

Michael Threadgold September 5th, 2008 10:35 AM

Vegas studio platinum won't capture DV.

Help please,I can't get my Vegas platinum to capture from my Canon A1 when I use the in camera HDV- DV downconvert setting.
The link is displayed in the camera LCD but Vegas says device not available.
No problems with HDV setting or either capture in Adobe CS3, Nero Vision no problem just Vegas.
I was thinking of upgrading to Vegas pro but need to know if this is an issue.Thanks.Michael

Mike Gunter September 5th, 2008 10:56 AM

Hi,

Are you using the right capture utility? DV instead of HDV?

Chris Barcellos September 5th, 2008 11:05 AM

Also, when I have this problem, after engaging capture untility, I go to one of the pull down menus within that utility, and have to select a capture device because it defaults to something not really DV. (Mine says Cirrus Logic something or other.) Check that out too.

Michael Threadgold September 5th, 2008 12:07 PM

Hi Chris and Mike, thanks for the reply.I am using the right settings.Just can't understand why only Vegas doesn' work on DV. Do you use Vegas Pro.? Michael

Mike Gunter September 5th, 2008 12:43 PM

Hi,

I have used Vegas 7 (and still have it on my machine) and use Vegas 8 Pro.

You might try rebooting the system. Turning the device off/on. Going to the system manager to see if there are any warning signs (I doubt that there are any there).

If you have another IEEE1394 port, try that.

Good luck.

Chris Barcellos September 5th, 2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Threadgold (Post 929745)
Hi Chris and Mike, thanks for the reply.I am using the right settings.Just can't understand why only Vegas doesn' work on DV. Do you use Vegas Pro.? Michael

I use Pro. I also have Plantinum from a few years back.

So when you open capture utility, and then select DV as capture source, you go to a capture screen, right ? And in a tab above that capture screen, do you have a tab that says "Video" ? Open that up, and make sure your setting is to "Micrsoft DV Camera and VCR"

Edward Troxel September 5th, 2008 01:52 PM

Vegas works great with DV. You have to make sure you're using the DV capture program (external) as opposed to the internal (HDV) capture app. As was mentioned, make sure the proper device is selected after opening the DV capture app. If you still can't get it to work, try Scenalyzer Live and see if it works.

Michael Threadgold September 6th, 2008 08:10 AM

Hi, thanks again Chris, hello Edward.When I cnnect camera I get HDV/DV confirmation in LCD on camera. The video tab in capture selection says"IE 1394 Mpeg 2 device" (when inputing HDV this says Canon A1) but the monitor screen says device not available! All controlls are greyed out. I've tried seecting "use external capture" in preferences but no joy.
While I'm connected I can go into CS3 or Nero and capture DV! So I assume connections are OK.
Do I need the Canon utility for the external capture- I never loaded it as my other programmes don' need it.?

Mike Kujbida September 6th, 2008 08:18 AM

I'm assuming here that the capture utility in Platinum is the same one used in the full version of Vegas.
When I launch the capture utility from within Vegas, a "Capture Video" screen pops up that gives the the option to select either DV or HDV/SDI.
It also gives me the option of making my choice the default.
If I make the HDV option the default and want to capture DV later on, I have to go into the Preferences menu (Options > Prefs > Video) and change it there.

Edward Troxel September 6th, 2008 09:15 PM

Sounds like the camera may be set to HDV mode instead of downconvert to SD mode. Your problem may be a camera menu setting that needs to be changed.

Michael Threadgold September 7th, 2008 07:31 AM

Hi Edward, no the downconvert is "on", as per manual HDV out +downconvert "on".
Tried Scenealyser-works fine. Michael

Richard Blanchard March 9th, 2009 03:39 PM

Vegas Capture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Gunter (Post 929710)
Hi,

Are you using the right capture utility? DV instead of HDV?

Are you saying Vegas won't capture in the HDV mode? My Vegas is not recognizing the XHA1 in HDV mode. Why would this happen? An El Cheapo progam like HDV Split picks up the HDV fine.

Richard Blanchard March 11th, 2009 06:07 PM

Downconvert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Threadgold (Post 930425)
Hi Edward, no the downconvert is "on", as per manual HDV out +downconvert "on".
Tried Scenealyser-works fine. Michael

I cannot find any "downconvert" on my XHA1 menu???

Edward Troxel March 12th, 2009 06:32 AM

The cameras can output either DV or HDV but that is switchable in the menus. Look over the camera documentation to find the proper way to switch that.

There's another interesting issue that's been happening. Installing a Logitec mouse driver with "SetPoint" appears to be killing capture abilities as well. Uninstalling the SetPoint driver allows capturing to work again.

Richard Blanchard April 28th, 2009 05:17 PM

Capture HD

Yes the Camera is outputting either DV or HDV, but my Vegas8 will only capture DV.
Why is this? Other programs recognize the HDV right away, but not Vegas8.
I do not have that Logitech program, by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1026495)
The cameras can output either DV or HDV but that is switchable in the menus. Look over the camera documentation to find the proper way to switch that.

There's another interesting issue that's been happening. Installing a Logitec mouse driver with "SetPoint" appears to be killing capture abilities as well. Uninstalling the SetPoint driver allows capturing to work again.