vegas and bootcamp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Major Player

vegas and bootcamp

Has anyone had any experience using Vegas on the bootcamp side of a MacBook Pro, for example? Is it too slow and clunky or just fine?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You should find it's just fine.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Major Player

The reason I need to know is that I'm on the verge of branching out in an entirely new direction--editing HDV. And the software question is crucial. Either I get a MacBook Pro (much more expensive) and thus create the option of having several different software directions to go with its bootcamp side. Or get a PC notebook (cheaper) like a Sony FW with a built-in blu-ray burner. So you're saying that using bootcamp with a PC-based editing system won't be a limitation....
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Vegas has a great user interface, but it is not strong in terms of realtime playback performance with HD formats. I don't have experience with Macs, or Macs running Vegas under bootcamp, but I suspect the performance degradation due to bootcamp won't make that much difference since native Vegas with HDV is already not very smooth. And rendering is very s-l-o-w as well. Personally, I'm mostly using Edius now for HDV projects as a result.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #5
New Boot

No problems

I edit AVCHD on Vegas 8 pro on my Macbook with no problems. It is somewhat slower than my quad core desktop, but you can work with it.
Russell Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Can you create blu-ray discs with Edius?
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE - The Digital Video Information Network
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use Vegas on my Mac Pro/bootcamp all the time. Editing HDV runs better with this combo than it did on the quad core PC that the Mac replaced!
Lou Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Major Player

That's good to know! Now only if Apple would get behind blu-ray and come out with a new generation of Macbook Pros, huh? I can get a Sony FW laptop equipped with blu-ray burner and everything else matching a top-end MBP and get it for HALF the price!
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just to clarify I'm using a Mac pro not a macbook pro. Sorry, I don't know how well a macbook pro will do.
Lou Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Major Player

I am using a mac pro and it works great. XP only sees 4gbs of ram fyi but if you are using 8.0 it will atleast use all 4 cores.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Major Player

I use Vegas on a MacBook Pro by way of Bootcamp and it works fantastic! I am editing full XDCAM HD 1920x1080 30p on the timeline with no trouble at all. My PC could not do this so the Mac architecture makes a difference...!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Major Player

Interesting...so I guess the question becomes (and I don't think anyone could answer this), is the Sony VAIO FW notebook series "better" at processing HD video than a Macbook Pro. Or to phrase it differently, given that a MBP is almost 2x more expensive than the Sony FW, is it twice as good at dealing with (and this is key) HDV footage primarily in a documentary-style production?
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Major Player

Tough to say for sure... I have a Sony Vaio as well and it chokes when trying to edit, yet I have seen a few people use a customized Vaio (wiped Hardrive clean installed new OS then only NLE and they seem to be doing alright...so it may be just an optimization issue with OS and other Apps... however my experience has been the MacBook Pro has been worth every penny... esepecially the new High Rez screen.. I think the architecture of the Motherboard and Buss routing etc. are just better optimized.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #15
Slash Rules!

I'd just like to add that I have an Imac, and have run Vegas in boot camp and Parallels. It works fine, EXCEPT, the audio is screwed up. Audio is fine in any other windows application, but plays back weirdly in Vegas.

When playing back from the timeline, I get these digital sounding beeps and boops, almost like dropped frames or overly compressed audio files, but there's nothing wrong with the source material. Unfortunately, these beeps and boops end up in the renders, not just playback.

I tried updating the sound drivers for Windows, and it seemed to help for a while, but now it's crappy again. Basically can't use Vegas for anything.

It's Windows XP, if that matters.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...