Adding a color curve to the WHOLE project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
File - Render As - and pick the cineform/HDV codec.
Is that something you have to buy because I don't see that under "save as type". I use 8.0b.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Wrangler

1. In the Render As window select: Video for Windows (*.avi)
2. Then select one of the HDV intermediate templates
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #18
Wrangler

If you want to use QuickTime, you'll have to customize one of the templates, specifically change the Video Format.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
1. In the Render As window select: Video for Windows (*.avi)
2. Then select one of the HDV intermediate templates
I see...thank you. Which one should I use, HDV 720-30p or HDV 720-25p?

I am editing SD 720 x 480 footage.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

Since you're in the US, use 30p. 25p would be for PAL countries.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Major Player

ok, and my final question on this subject.

This format is better than rendering to uncompressed avi correct?

I will be rendering all 23 scenes to this and then opening them all in 1 project and rendering to mpeg2 / ac3 for a final DVD.

I will also be printing to tape from this format.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #22
Inner Circle

uncompressed files are HUGH! No real reason to render to uncompressed unless you need to save an alpha channel or something that requires you to do so.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #23
Major Player

Wait... using a nested project "rerenders" the file?

I thought it just opened it in the timeline as one track for convinience... exactly what the OP is trying to accomplish.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Richard View Post
Wait... using a nested project "rerenders" the file?

I thought it just opened it in the timeline as one track for convinience... exactly what the OP is trying to accomplish.
I agree with your assessment. There is no rendering going on when you drop a project on to a new time line. There may be some formatting issues to preview, if the projects are not the same. I do believe use of the project files can subject the final compile project to potential issues or errors, that are unnecessary risks, so once I am ready to lock a scene, I lock it by rendering, and use that in my final compile project. As I said, I elect to keep it simple.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I agree with your assessment. There is no rendering going on when you drop a project on to a new time line. There may be some formatting issues to preview, if the projects are not the same. I do believe use of the project files can subject the final compile project to potential issues or errors, that are unnecessary risks, so once I am ready to lock a scene, I lock it by rendering, and use that in my final compile project. As I said, I elect to keep it simple.
I'm with you on that... just wanted to make sure that the facts were straight for me as well as anyone else that might be reading this.

So to the OP you could just drop your files in via nested and accomplish a lot of what you are looking to do. You would even be able to color correct different scenes differently if you wanted to as they would act like seperate clips on the "master" timeline.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
I'm with you on that... just wanted to make sure that the facts were straight for me as well as anyone else that might be reading this.

So to the OP you could just drop your files in via nested and accomplish a lot of what you are looking to do. You would even be able to color correct different scenes differently if you wanted to as they would act like seperate clips on the "master" timeline.
The reason we are not talking about nested projects is becuase it not working for me (and a lot of other people) so I am trying to find another way of working neatly with a lot of scenes.

The cineform seems to be working for me while keep it high quality with out too much compression, I like the idea of rendering each scene and then taking it into a single project for the final render. This way also takes a lot of the stress off Vegas by pre-rendering big projects. This way I CAN use HUGE jpeg files and Vegas wont crash.

Really this thread was about something else to start with and kind of went off in another direction but it really helped me out...sorry if there is some confusion.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #27
Major Player

I also vote as someone else did to just render out SD to regular dv codec... you don't lose too much, but I've never compared to cineform so I really can't comment.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
I also vote as someone else did to just render out SD to regular dv codec... you don't lose too much, but I've never compared to cineform so I really can't comment.
What do you personally render out to for something like this Kevin?
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
What do you personally render out to for something like this Kevin?
I've just come back out to regular a DV NTSC file. Only done once because I needed to quickly render out some clips for a live show that was then add them later to a dvd as a bonus.

"School of Rock" band camp thing for kids.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...