DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Going from version 8 to version 7... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/129554-going-version-8-version-7-a.html)

Steven Bills September 7th, 2008 10:31 PM

Going from version 8 to version 7...

Is there any way to save a project that was edited in Vegas 8 and open it up in Vegas 7?

My friend recently finished editing a project in V8 and then handed it over to me to "fine tune", but I'm running V7.

I've tried exporting an EDL from V8 and opening that up in V7, but that didn't work right, or else I'm doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steven

Graham Bernard September 8th, 2008 12:48 AM

How much "fine" tuning is needed? Do you really need the VEG file to get access to level of fine tuning you say? Maybe you need to audit the project, so far, and then think if could work on a render?

This might be unhelpful advise, but it maybe something you haven't considered?

Grazie

Steven Bills September 8th, 2008 09:25 PM

Hmmm... I'm not really sure what you mean there. I exported the EDL from V8, and I can't open that up in V7.

I'm not really sure what else to do.

SB

Graham Bernard September 8th, 2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Bills (Post 931135)
Hmmm... I'm not really sure what you mean there. I exported the EDL from V8, and I can't open that up in V7.

What I mean is do you need to make a lot of involved fx and compositing changes? If NOT then render out and import into V7 and edit that. Many people use multiple Renders and go forward and edit and re-edit those.

Again, how much "fine tuning" do you need to do?

I'm interested to know why you couldn't import the EDL?

Also, what are the SONY strictures in you downloading a DEMO of V8 and see how that works with this, your friend's project? Would that be acceptable to SONY?

Seems like, at some point, a good opportunity to upgrade to V8? You could ALWAYS, as I do, have V7 and V8 running simultaneously - no problem.

Grazie

Don Donatello September 8th, 2008 10:25 PM

"V7 and V8 running simultaneously - no problem."

the computer that i installed V8 the V7 media manager no longer works ??

also doesn't V7 use .net2 and V8 use .net 3 ??

Graham Bernard September 8th, 2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Donatello (Post 931160)
"V7 and V8 running simultaneously - no problem."

the computer that i installed V8 the V7 media manager no longer works ??

also doesn't V7 use .net2 and V8 use .net 3 ??

Hi Don! This is my experience and my setup:

1] Media Manager working here under both V7 and V8 - so not my experience & can't advise.

2] Regarding .Net, I can only add I have versions 1.1 through versions to 3.0 installed on my edit PC and no problem here.

Grazie

Seth Bloombaum September 8th, 2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 931173)
2] Regarding .Net, I can only add I have versions 1.1 through versions to 3.0 installed on my edit PC and no problem here.

Likewise - .net 1.1 through 3.5sp1 - these multiple versions seem to cleanly co-exist on one PC. No problems here running multiple versions of Vegas, currently 7 and 8. I'd rather forget about 5 and 6....

(I work with some network-aware multimedia software that is written in visual studio/.net)

Steven Bills September 9th, 2008 07:12 PM

Alright, thanks Graham, I'll give the demo a try.

SB