Ready for 64-bit Vegas Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ready for 64-bit Vegas Pro?

Vegas Pro 8.1 update:
Ready for 64-bit Vegas Pro? The advantages of running Vegas Pro 8.1 on a 64-bit PC with a 64-bit compatible operating system include increased computer memory and editing power, more files open on the timeline, more filters and effects, more cached frames, and faster rendering performance.

Stay tuned for information on the availability of both updates — FREE to registered users of Vegas Pro 8 soon!

Reveived this today!
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Yippee! Can't wait.
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I hope this also resolves 720/60p audio from the EX1/EX3!
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice , finally!!!!!! Sony.... I hope this will help alot of issues, and run alot faster!!!!

I want to start my hawaii HD music movies..... Ill wait to this gets installed first.
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Trustee

I also hope they straighten out the colorspace madness...
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #6

I suspect Sony is selling a wee bit of misinformation when they claim faster performance with 64-bit. Thie arguement against a render speed increase is an old one. Here's some concrete results comparing 32-bit and 64-bit. It would seem 32-bit has a noticeable advantage...
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2280814,00.asp
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I suspect Sony is selling a wee bit of misinformation when they claim faster performance with 64-bit. Thie arguement against a render speed increase is an old one. Here's some concrete results comparing 32-bit and 64-bit. It would seem 32-bit has a noticeable advantage...
Performance Shootout: Vista 32-bit versus Vista 64-bit - Content Creation: Media Editing and Encoding Tests - OS, Software & Networking by ExtremeTech
Not a good comparison. They're running a 32bit app on a 64 bit os. We'll have to wait and see. I have my 64 bit copy of XP waiting... :lol:
Andy Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

32 bit apps do run better on 32 bit systems, that is no secret. I have seen very few advantages, if any running 64 bit OS at this point in time, as there are virtually no 64 bit programs. IE 64 bit cannot even deal with flash, as Adobe doesn't support 64 bit in any shape or form. Since the upcoming release of Vegas is 64 bit and designed to run on 64 bit there should undoubtedly be some improvements in at least some aspects of Vegas performance.

I suspect nice performance increases due to the length of time sony has had 64 bit version in development. But I could be wrong, and you could be right, Bill. We will only know when it is released. And then we will find out pretty quickly, many of us are lined up with our 64 bit OSs already running just waiting for the new release. I personally dislike Vista but have been running 64 bit for a while now getting the bugs out just in anticipation of this release. I personally am looking forward to it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mace View Post
I have my 64 bit copy of XP waiting... :lol:
Sony said some time ago that the 64-bit version would be for Vista only so, if you want to try it on XP 64, it sounds like you'll be on your own :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
32 bit apps do run better on 32 bit systems, that is no secret. I have seen very few advantages, if any running 64 bit OS at this point in time, as there are virtually no 64 bit programs. IE 64 bit cannot even deal with flash, as Adobe doesn't support 64 bit in any shape or form. Since the upcoming release of Vegas is 64 bit and designed to run on 64 bit there should undoubtedly be some improvements in at least some aspects of Vegas performance.

I suspect nice performance increases due to the length of time sony has had 64 bit version in development. But I could be wrong, and you could be right, Bill. We will only know when it is released. And then we will find out pretty quickly, many of us are lined up with our 64 bit OSs already running just waiting for the new release. I personally dislike Vista but have been running 64 bit for a while now getting the bugs out just in anticipation of this release. I personally am looking forward to it.
64bit OS running a 64bit app should scream. I don't think you'll be disappointed *knocks on wood*.

... Too late for the knocking on wood, actually, after looking at the article more closely, the results w/ 64 + 64 are decidedly mixed.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #11

I used to run a lot of 10-bit apps on Sun machines, using Sun OS, a Unix based OS. The reason for using a Sun or SGI graphics machine was for the increased mathematical precision that 10-bit offers. While 10-bit processing seems to run faster, the increased mathematical processing takes longer. The net effect is/was zero sum gain. So, I would expect increases in the area of precision(less banding due to the finer step size in color mapping), ability to handle larger chunk sizes in RAM, I would be surprised at an increase in render speeds. This would seem particularly true since 64-bit requires considerably more system resources, i.e system overhead, than 32 bit. That's one reason 64-bit hasn't been successfully introduced before the advent of multi core processors.

It is a curiousity that the Mainconcept 64-bit MPEG2 codec tested as faster than 32-bit, and considerably faster, at that. Perhaps this is a true 64-bit code.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Personally, I agree that render speeds may not improve that much, I don't have the technical knowledge to back that up. It's just not something I expected 64 bit to help with that much. The Sony tech I spoke with a couple of weeks ago downplayed rendering speed increases also. I am really interested to see if playback performance improves at all.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Sony said some time ago that the 64-bit version would be for Vista only so, if you want to try it on XP 64, it sounds like you'll be on your own :-(
Ha! I didn't see that. This release will be useless to me as I'm avoiding vista until it does better than it has for my friends and customers.
Andy Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Major Player

The big advantage is RAM as with 64bit the 4GB limit is gone and in fact the 64bit version of Vista Ulimate will see up to 128GB of RAM.... Vegas loves RAM So if you have say 8GB to 16GB of RAM or more depending on how Sony wrote their code Vegas may be screaming fast...especially RAM previews and effects and such.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Well Andy, I'm no cheerleader for Vista. I have griped here about it's annoyances. Tech forums webwide are still filled with software engineers, etc., who have many complaints about it. On top of all that, the best thing most of it's fans can say it that it works for them and doesn't crash. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Videoguys.com is still strongly discouraging it's use on new NLE workstations. We have all heard the pros (as weak as they are!) and cons ad naseum of course.

Nevertheless, I have found Vista 64 bit to be very stable overall. And when tweaked properly it seems about as efficient as XP Pro. If it weren't for the upcoming Vegas release I wouldn't even have bought it though, because there really is no reason for it otherwise, IMO.

Interestingly, I was perusing laptops at Circuit City a month ago, and three of their newest arrivals have Vista 64 bit installed. I have to admit I was shocked. Microsoft is going the way of 64 bit and I don't think they are looking back.

I think with the inherent stabilty of Vegas, Vista 64 bit is a safe bet if you have the proper hardware. I suspect it will be hard to hold back if the experiences of those who try it are as positive we hope for.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...