DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Nested timeline quirk? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/129703-nested-timeline-quirk.html)

Rick Steele September 9th, 2008 02:28 PM

Nested timeline quirk?

So I offloaded a project folder to another drive and deleted the original. Now I've got an exact copy of all original info... same folder name, just on a different drive.

From this different location all my project files load into Vegas fine except those that contain nested timelines exclusively - Vegas just hangs and won't open these. Is this normal? Everything it needs is there but it won't even ask me to point to a location.

I hope something is aloof as this will really cramp my workflow if I have to keep rebuilding those nested timeline projects.

Graham Bernard September 9th, 2008 11:57 PM

Yes, my initial thoughts are the same as yours.Meaning that you WILL need to resolve the request Vegas appears to be making, in the background for the files, that make-up the nests from the original drive location/s to be reinstated. If this IS the case then this is needing to be investigated further.

We are often informed and I too treat nested veggies the same way as any other media. In which case, I too would expect to have Vegas open up but then indicate that the "media" - albeit now a Veg - was in truth OFFLINE and needing, as you quite correctly say, a search.

I'm just wondering if you ARE using Media Manager then there might be an option to resolve this through that tool?

I'm also wondering IF your system isn't coping too well with the multiple nest requests and just falling at the search and display point - dunno?

Interesting . . . .

Grazie

Oliver Darden September 10th, 2008 03:16 AM

Try reopening each original (non nested) project and re-save it. When you transfer Vegas projects to another drive or computer it looses the cache memory of the project so it's very hard on Vegas to open them all at once like that.

Graham Bernard September 10th, 2008 03:36 AM

Oliver, yes. My thoughts are to invoke Media Manager and do a search for VEG files proxy OFFLINE files and then perhaps "resolving" them. Supposing our chum here has many veggies that are nests? This might be a way to do it? Openning a NEW veg preoject would open Media Manager so at least he could gain access to the MM search/report features.

Only a thought/idea.

Grazie

Rick Steele September 10th, 2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 931811)
Try reopening each original (non nested) project and re-save it.

Thanks Oliver. That works - back in business.

But if I change the folder name through windows explorer... this same problem occurs. This doesn't seem to matter when opening plain vanilla projects with no nesting as they load fine.

I guess I don't understand why Vegas doesn't just always take the given root directory name and work from there regardless of nesting or not.

I can live with it now that I know.