Compression settings for HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Compression settings for HD

What are good compression settings for HD 1920x1080 in quicktime and WMV? and when I say good I mean size is not a huge concern (not uncompressed, but larger sizes are fine) quality is important, its too be stored and viewed on a HD tv via computer so it should be high quality full resolution. I am saving at different bit rates but all the standards seem to be uncompressed or websize almost, I mean I have a 15 minute 1920x1080 video that came out to 86 megs, thats way too compressed. Maybe somewhere like up too 3-4 gigs per hour of footage? or any good high quality at full resolution for HDTV display via computer.

thanks.
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For WMV, try an 8 mb bitrate. This is in the range of standard def DVD bitrates, but the additional intelligent compression of WMV can make this look pretty good. We're using it for large-screen projection...

QT, I dunno'. It probably won't do as well in that range, but I've not tried it.

If your WMV is not looking good at this sort of bitrate then there are probably other issues to deal with. For example, if the original footage has gain noise that's a big contributor to poor compression performance, and there are others. The main issue is whether every pixel is changing in every frame. If you're stuck with some difficult footage, then try higher bitrates, I'd see what 12, 16 & 20 look like. No need to compress the whole project, 20 seconds of a difficult scene will quickly tell the story.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Trustee

I don't do QT, but for WMV 1280x720 I do 12, looks great and it's about 100Mb a min.
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...