DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   64 bit freezing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/130666-64-bit-freezing.html)

Jeff Harper September 11th, 2008 11:57 PM

64 bit freezing

OK, here we go. My shiny new installation of 8.1 is freezing up. Started to occur after changing preview device.

Runs fine as long as I don't try to preview with secondary display. When I do that, Vegas 8.1 freezes and and must be shut down.

Have tested 32 bit version, external preview device still works. At this point it looks hopeless. Hopefully a workaround will be discovered.

Running all newest drivers. Workstation is workstation class machine and built 64 bit from the ground up by Dell.

Jon Fairhurst September 12th, 2008 12:43 AM

More likely a video driver problem than a Vegas problem, IMHO. You might check for the latest drivers.

Jeff Harper September 12th, 2008 06:08 AM

The preview monitor is a JVC broacast hooked up through a canopus box via firewire, so I'm not sure video drivers would affect it, but nevertheless drivers installed are taken directly from manufacturers website days ago anyway.

Jon Fairhurst September 13th, 2008 07:53 PM

Okay. Not a video driver problem. Could be a 1394 driver/hardware problem, but if your drivers are up to date, probably not.

Still, keep an eye out for driver upgrades. Often, people blame apps when it's really a hardware or driver issue.

Jeff Harper September 13th, 2008 11:45 PM

OK, thanks Jon.

Jon Fairhurst September 14th, 2008 12:49 AM

Another possibility: your processor and RAM timings could be on the edge. Normally, everything is fine, but all of a sudden you hit a different address, and blammo.

It's easy to test. Go into your BIOS, make a note of the settings, and slow down the CPU clock and/or slow the RAM timing. (In general, you slow the RAM by adding clock cycles for each transfer - going to a higher number.)

Just make sure that you document your current settings well, so you can get back.

Then again, maybe there's a bug in the application...

Best of luck!

Jeff Harper September 14th, 2008 10:20 AM

I don't think there is much doubt it's the app. 32 bit works fine, old and new versions. I've uninstalled 8.1 With the black frames issue, I abandoned it. This build is actually behind 8.0c in some ways. thanks for your suggestions.

Jon Fairhurst September 14th, 2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 934593)
I don't think there is much doubt it's the app.

To me that's always in doubt. ;)

For instance I have a nice quad core machine with a 4 drive RAID that runs Vegas fine, but every week or three, it just locks up when moving the mouse. However, I can always get the machine to die when scrubbing video with Premiere or After Effects. Always.

I'm pretty sure that Premiere and AE can scrub. Fortunately, I rarely use them, and when I do it's usually just for conversions and compatibility. And I avoid scrubbing with them. It's definitely my machine.

Fortunately, Vegas 8.0b has been solid - I can scrub to my heart's content, so I haven't bothered to track it down - yet.

With 64-bits, every driver is different from the 32-bit version, the OS is different, and the hardware is accessed differently. Trust nothing. ;)

That said, the black frames issue sounds like it's the app. (I assume that many users have reported the same problem?) Given that, going back to 32-bits makes sense. I'd do the same.

Best of luck with 8.1a. :)