DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 8c and building peaks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/130731-vegas-8c-building-peaks.html)

Danny Fye September 13th, 2008 02:44 AM

Vegas 8c and building peaks

I installed 8c and the time it takes to build peaks with 8c is twice as long!

I have 2 *.m2t files that are 01:11:27.283 in length. One for cam-1 and the other for cam-2.

Instead of the old one pass on building peaks, there are now two. So when I loaded the 2 files I loaded cam-1 first and started my timer. When the peaks were done with cam-1, I immediately loaded (dragged to time-line) cam-2.

Total time to build the peaks for both cams was 18 minutes and 53 seconds.

Now that is way too much time to spend waiting for the peaks to build. Was bad enough with 8b and earlier versions but this is ridiculous!

Would be a bit hard to be productive if one has to wait that long to even start editing! If a wedding videographer wants to do a same day edit, well....

I looked at the options and didn't see a way to turn it off. My guess this is to support the new features in the trimmer.

I tried 8 bit peaks and that made it faster but not much.

It is creating two peak files instead of one for each file. So for Cam-1 I get Cam-1.m2t.sfk0 and Cam-1.m2t.sfk1 files. Why two *.sfk files instead just one?

Danny Fye
Community of Christ South Crysler Congregation Online Video Services

Paul Fierlinger September 13th, 2008 03:40 AM

It seams to me that this is only a one time occurrence when one opens a project from a previous version. I had a blackout last night and after my power was restored and I opened an 80 minute project, I expected to have to sit through the peak building process all over again but that didn't happen, the peaks appeared instantly.

Danny Fye September 13th, 2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger (Post 934174)
It seams to me that this is only a one time occurrence when one opens a project from a previous version. I had a blackout last night and after my power was restored and I opened an 80 minute project, I expected to have to sit through the peak building process all over again but that didn't happen, the peaks appeared instantly.

The files were used by a previous project however I deleted the original *.sfk files and let it build the peaks again. That is when I timed it. The original peaks were not used and rebuilt as well.

Once the peaks are finally built then they will appear instantly.

I also tried two other *.m2t files and the peaks were built in this new way so as to create two *.sfk files per *.m2t file instead of just one as in the past.

So now one has to wait twice as long for the peaks to be built because Vegas 8c creates two *.sfk files instead of just one per *.m2t file.

Danny Fye
Community of Christ South Crysler Congregation Online Video Services

Paul Fierlinger September 13th, 2008 09:04 AM

Interesting, I hadn't noticed the extra file. It must have something to do with the expanded trimmer window, which I rarely use anyway. Since I work only with graphics files I see no difference between b and c versions; if someone had updated Vegas for me behind my back it would take awhile before I would notice any change.

Alastair Brown October 28th, 2008 04:21 AM

Thought I was imagining things but nope...building peaks is now taking twice as long. Whats going on?

Prech Marton September 13th, 2010 08:43 AM

Here to. I think it's a bug, because the two files are exactly the same!
So why wait 2x time? Why not copy, when the one is created?