DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is There a Photo App That "Thinks" like Vegas CC & 2nd CC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/130749-there-photo-app-thinks-like-vegas-cc-2nd-cc.html)

Jason Robinson September 13th, 2008 03:38 PM

Is There a Photo App That "Thinks" like Vegas CC & 2nd CC?

I have caught myself a few times wanting to color grade an image and have tried and tried and failed in my still photo app (Paint Shop Pro 8.... yes I know it is old). So I just import the photo into Vegas and open up the secondary CC tool and in a matter of a few minutes, I have all the colors just how I want them. I do this on an HD time line of course so I get the best resolution possible. Then I switch the preview window to good quality and save a snapshot so I can import that photo to DVDA (the most frequent culprit for needed manipulated images) and use it as the background.

But.... there has to be a better way. So my question to ya'll is, is there a still photo manipulation app that thinks and works like Vegas with the CC tools?

Brian Luce September 13th, 2008 03:58 PM

I do this too. I don't know how to use photoshop and am too lazy to learn and to cheap to buy it.

Lou Trottier September 13th, 2008 06:06 PM

GIMP - for Windows

I use the Mac version of this program...a little bit of a learning curve but great for a free program.

Lou

Mike Kujbida September 13th, 2008 06:23 PM

I've got Photoshop but there are times when a simple CC is more easily done with a few clicks in Vegas than going through several clicks in Photoshop.
Brian, since you're too cheap to buy it (it's a good chunk of change and your money is probably better spent elsewhere), check out Gimp.
It stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program and it's free.

Jason Robinson September 13th, 2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 934378)
I've got Photoshop but there are times when a simple CC is more easily done with a few clicks in Vegas than going through several clicks in Photoshop.
Brian, since you're too cheap to buy it (it's a good chunk of change and your money is probably better spent elsewhere), check out Gimp.
It stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program and it's free.

But does Gimp "think" like Vegas. Does it have anything similar to the secondary CC? Primary CC? Or is it a wanna be photoshop? If there is one thing I don't want, its a photoshop clone that has all the annoying use interface & work flow "features" of photoshop.

Mike Kujbida September 13th, 2008 09:15 PM

Jason, I've never used it but it's my understanding that Gimp is a Photoshop wannabe so I guess it's not what you want.

Jason Robinson September 13th, 2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 934418)
Jason, I've never used it but it's my understanding that Gimp is a Photoshop wannabe so I guess it's not what you want.

Dang. So I'm going to have to suck it up and learn Gimp or break out the manual for Paint Shop Pro eh? Dang.

Greg Boston September 13th, 2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 934418)

Yes, it's a Photoshop wannabe. I have the Mac version as well.

-gb-

Brian Luce September 13th, 2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 934421)
Dang. So I'm going to have to suck it up and learn Gimp or break out the manual for Paint Shop Pro eh? Dang.

I found GIMP impossible. I'm not smart enough. If I could use Vegas to browse I would.

Dan Bridges September 14th, 2008 12:49 AM

GIMP Tutorials

I found The GIMP impossible too, until my need for some photo fixups overcame my initial bewilderment. You may find these two tutorials I wrote of some help:

GIMP Photo Manipulation - Rotation, Geometric Correction, Healing, Cropping

GIMP Photo Manipulation - Corrective Rotation

The GIMP does not have a complimenty colour corrector though.

Dan.

Graham Bernard September 14th, 2008 04:49 AM

Jason? You've already got PSP? You want an easy CC-ed image to go into DVDA? Do it directly via PSP and then back to DVDA?

1] Set up PSP as your preferred Graphics package

2] Select image from WITHIN DVDA

3] Choose to open image in your preferred Graphics - here it would be your PSP software - by right clicking on image (I have it too!)

4] PSP will automatically open WITH your image ready to go

5] Hit simple improve image Icons on your Toolbar. I've set mine up with : Black and White Points; Adjust Colour Balance; Adjust Curves; Adjust High/Mid/Shadow Levels. Make adjusts

6] File > Save Copy As > PSD or PNG or JPG

7] Back into DVDA and import your new background.

So, here you have a method to use your existing s/w AND to access it directly from within DVDA. And if you plop some Colour Correction Icons on your PSP toolbar it is really very fast indeed.

HTH

Grazie