DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Pan & Crop in Project media. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/130785-pan-crop-project-media.html)

Paul Kellett September 14th, 2008 12:04 PM

Pan & Crop in Project media.

I know that i can add an effect to a clip in the project media and it effects all instances of that clip on the timeline but what about pan and crop ?

I'll be doing a multicam edit soon and as we all know, any applied effects are lost when creating a multicam track.
I've got 4 long clips, 2 from my EX1 and 2 from another cam which was shot using 4:3, so when i complete the multicam edit and end up with 1 track i'll have to pan and crop the first instance of 4:3 in to 16:9 then copy and past event attributes to all instances of 4:3 to make them 16:9.
If it was an effect i which i wanted then i could add the effect to the 4:3 clips in project media but i can't do pan and crop that way.
Is there another way other than cropping them all manually ?

Paul.

Marc Salvatore September 14th, 2008 01:16 PM

I'm not sure what you're wanting to do exactly but what about using a script? You might make a post in the Vegas scripting forum (on the sony site). I did recently and received a script solution within an hour.

Regards, Marc

Paul Kellett September 14th, 2008 01:23 PM

What i want to do is not have to crop each 4:3 into 16:9 manually/past event attributes.
I've got 2 long clips synchronised, one above the other, ready for mulitcam edit, (it was a wedding ceremony with 2 cams), i can crop the 4:3 into 16:9 first but then when the multicam track gets created all effects are lost, so then i have to do the crop again, but now of course i don't have just one clip to crop but many due to the cuts during the edit.

Paul.

Ian Briscoe September 14th, 2008 01:36 PM

Paul

While it might be too late for you on this occassion....I've never used the Vegas built-in multicam tool, but Exaclibur seems to maintain the pan/crop attributes after you've "multicam'ed". So you could put your 4x3 on one track, crop, then multicam.

Ian

Paul Kellett September 14th, 2008 01:57 PM

Hi Ian, no it's not too late, i haven't started editing the project yet.
Hopefully the 4:3>16:9 problem is a one off, my assistant filmed in 4:3 by mistake !
I can go through the clips manually just this once.
In future i will DEMAND 16:9, what's 4:3 all about ? Who wants 4:3 nowadays ?
I can't even remember the last time i saw a "square" tv.
Thanks.
Paul.

Graham Bernard September 15th, 2008 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 934674)
Who wants 4:3 nowadays ?

Just to answer your question.

My most recent commission, for a Pan-London organisation, who wanted a 16:9 DVD, also commissioned me to film and edit a 30 second advert. It went out on cable-TV and mostly definitely HAD to be 4:3. This was piped over cable to hospitals, surgeries, community areas, and the company needed it in 4:3 for broadcast to their digital signage portals.

Digital signage is a massive area for all of us. Being flexible and accommodating is how we get the jobs. And that, in this advancing, looming economic environment, that is going to send a lot of people to the wall. Those that can respond and do come out of it will be tougher and even more credible.

Recessions? Been through 5 in my lifetime, and with several business models. "Yah want 16x9? - yah got it! Yah want 4:3? Yah got it!"

If you aren't in an area of the biz where you can make your rules, good for you! But there are plenty of "other" models that might have accept the rules of others.

Only my 2 pennies . . oops only my 1 penny .. oops only my ha'pnies worth . . oops only my farthings worth!

But what do I know?

Grazie

Paul Kellett September 15th, 2008 03:32 AM

Done it, here's how.

2 long clips one 4:3, one 16:9,one above the other on the timeline,sync'd ready for multicam track.
Create the multicam, do the edit/make cuts, disable multicam, get left with one track.

Now i've got say 50 cuts, 25 clips of 16:9 and 25 clips of 4:3, i want to change all the 4:3 clips to 16:9, in one go.

Go to the first instance of 4:3 on the timeline, pan and crop manually, i chose the 16:9 preset.
Make sure the project media tab is selected.
Go to the first instance of 4:3 which has just been cropped manually to 16:9
right click>copy

Still on the same first clip, right click>select in project media, this makes the clip get highlighted in the media bin,(only need to do this if you've got loads of clips and can't remember which was used)

Go to highlighted clip in media bin
right click>select timeline events,
all instances of 4:3 are now highlighted
go to 2nd instance of 4:3 (1st was cropped manually remember)
right click>paste event attributes
Done ! All 4:3's are now 16:9.

Paul

Graham Bernard September 15th, 2008 03:35 AM

Great instructions Paul!

Grazie

Paul Kellett September 15th, 2008 03:48 AM

Cheers Graham.
I knew it could be done, just needed to figure out how.
I've yet to come across something which vegas can't do, sometimes it just takes a bit of working out.

Paul.

Ian Briscoe September 15th, 2008 04:17 AM

Excellent!