HDC Capture Splitting File (NOT scene-detect) at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
HDC Capture Splitting File (NOT scene-detect)

I've been having an issue capturing several HDV tapes where the capture arbitrarily splits the resulting files. It does this whether Scene Detection is on or off. The splits are never in the same place twice-- the resulting file sizes are almost random. In most cases, my entire source tapes are a single scene anyway.

When I capped the same series of tapes using HDV Split, I got exactly the expected files (using Scene Detection)-- they didn't split arbitrarily. I had a tiny handful of dropped frames (3-5), but that was it.

I'm running Vista 64, 6GB RAM, Vegas 8c, Sony HDR-9 camera, if that makes any difference-- and capturing to an external USB drive.

I just want to know if I'm specifically doing something wrong or if I have to rely on an external utility to cap the files I need (which doesn't make sense to me). I saw at least one or two other people had complained about this same issue, but they didn't get a response-- and I can't find that thread again (lost it waiting for my DVinfo registration to go through.. :) ).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Fletcher Kauffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...