Vegas and the proper 64 bit OS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Tourist

Vegas and the proper 64 bit OS?

Let's get this out of the way now; I've been using Vegas for a long, long time (years before it was used for video at all.) I worked it on many OS's doing many types of projects, and for the past 5 years or so, lots and lots of video. Since 2005, mostly HDV projects from a trio of Z1U's.

Since early 2007, after a brief but tumultuous affair with Vista and Vista 64 (many of you all know what I'm talking about), I found the power and stability of XP64. We were happy until I decided to add the BWU-200S a few months ago. DVDA 5 decided it didn't like it, and upon any poll of the burner from the app, would crash instantly. Sony support of course gave me the "we don't support that OS" slogan. Then they release Vegas 64 (8.1) with the same slogan...meaning all we have for their support is Vista 64.

So, I loaded a version (ultimate 64, oy), hoping to see something different than I did in early 2007. Mostly, it's better in the shortcomings that I first discovered 20 months ago.

But (you knew there had to be a but) XP64 it ain't. It's clunky, HDV playback (especially transitions) is stunted (this is a little better in 8.0c than in 8.1 but still unacceptable), and the general stability of the system seems touchy (the hard drive seems to be busy, often, even though I've stopped indexing???)

So...what to do? Go back to XP64 and find a new blu-ray burner and continue to run software successfully on an "unsupported" OS?

Anybody have a suggestion as to how to get something better from Vista 64? Biz version perhaps? Turn off certain unnecessary resource hogs? And I'm still unsure of the stability and speed of these latest NVIDIA drivers for my Quadro FX 1500 cards.

Anybody else have similar issues or advice, please offer.

Thanks,

MM
Michael McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I use Vegas 64 on XP64. I cut BluRay on a different system though as I finish on a different machine than I acquire and edit on.

I'd say find a different blu-ray recorder, and go with what works when editing.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I use Vegas 64 on XP64. I cut BluRay on a different system though as I finish on a different machine than I acquire and edit on.
I do have another machine sitting and doing nothing right now, why not make it the disc production station and still enjoy my XP64 editing? Done. Thanks for jogging my doesn't-work-quite-as-well-as-it-used-to memory.
Michael McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sony cannot support Vegas working with an OS if it wasn't developed for it.

Other people will jump into this thread and give you pointers, I'm sure. But regarding Vista 64 bit, I suggest you start by googling tweaks for Vista 64 bit. There is no particular tweak I can recommend over others, there are so many that I find are necessary for faster, smoother operation.

For starters I disable themes, disable most all visual enhancements, disable indexing on all drives. I don't recommend turning off UAC, but I had to learn that the hard way, hopefully you won't have to. It can be done without issues, but can cause some real annoyances.

Change power settings to performance mode but don't stop there, go deeper and disable hd going to sleep, etc. as well.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; September 22nd, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Sony cannot support Vegas working with an OS if it wasn't developed for it.
More importantly though, why develop software for an OS that has, up to now, proven to be problematic and generally inferior to the world of AV editing? That makes no sense at all.
Michael McNeil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...