DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Normalize Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/134694-normalize-audio.html)

David Delaney September 24th, 2008 06:25 PM

Normalize Audio

How can I even out all of the audio in a project to be the same all the way through? I heard that normalize audio does this - but how do I use normalize audio?

Don Bloom September 24th, 2008 06:50 PM

if you right click on the audio track the drop down has a menu called 'switches' go to that and at will have the bottom is 'normalize'.
Be aware however that normalizing may not be the right thing to do. Fist any peaks you have will prevent or minimize the normalization, second, normalization may overdo it, third it will increase any floor noise thatmay be there.
If you only need to increase levels in certain areas then use a volume envelope and you wil have far more control. You can also split the audio track anduse the non-realtime fx 'volume' or amp modulation to increase the levels of a certain area. This can allow for a much better audio track than overall normalization.
Don

Graham Bernard September 25th, 2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 942754)
if you right click on the audio track the drop down has a menu called 'switches' go to that and at will have the bottom is 'normalize'.

Don? Not for me? I've got:

Switches > Mute . . . or .. Solo . . . or . . . Invert Phase

What I can do is:

Event > Right Click > Properties > Audio Event > Normalize

I can use VASST's UltimateSPro4 Audio Tools and use their excellent Normalize. I've also used Sound Forge to normalize.

Grazie

Don Bloom September 25th, 2008 04:31 AM

Grazie,
maybe it depends on which version of Vegas? I'm still on 6 maybe 7 and 8 it's moved.
In either case, normalization may not be the best way to go regardless of whether it's Vegas, SF or VAAST. Remember it takes the lowest value and raises along with everything else on the track UNLESS theres a real high in there someplace then it may not be effective at all.
Oh well, it's far to early in the AM and I've got to get ready for a job I'm doing so I'll say 'good bye for now' ;-)

Don

Nicholas de Kock September 25th, 2008 04:41 AM

The normalise function in Vegas is very limited unless you cut the audio up in little pieces it's almost useless. I use a VST plug-in from Nomad Factory called E-Maximizer (Nomad Factory - Leader In Tube Emulation Plug-Ins). This plug-in will save you hours of manual normalizing.

Graham Bernard September 25th, 2008 04:42 AM

Yup! I agree with you on the appropriate use of normalization - sure.

Now, been back and opened V5. It isn't there. You think SONY added it in 6 and then removed it in 7 > 8? Could be? I just don't have V6 installed to check. Maybe somebody else will update us?

Don, have a "great" day.

Grazie

Edward Troxel September 25th, 2008 06:56 AM

Right-click the audio event, switches, normalize is available in Vegas 6, 7, and 8. I did not go backwards farther but I'm sure it's in the previous versions as well.

Graham Bernard September 25th, 2008 07:18 AM

Don suggested that it was within the Track Header. I said I couldn't find it in the TH in V5, 7 and now 8. Don HAS V6. Does Normalize appear in the Track Header in Vegas6, Edward?

Grazie

Graham Bernard September 25th, 2008 07:29 AM

Don said " . the audio track " - I didn't get that that was what he meant as "Event"!

Ah got it now!!

And for me, the original poster had asked: "How can I even out all of the audio in a project to be the same all the way through?" - Well, ALL the Events on that track would HAVE to finished and as one to do this. Which, as we know, would NOT normalize, as the audio would be one "lump".

The right click option is EVENT specific. I'd have to right click on an Event and choose switches.

Grazie

Edward Troxel September 25th, 2008 07:39 AM

No, it is not on the track header in Vegas 6. One thing you can do is select all audio events on the track and then go to Edit - Switches - Normalize.

Still agree with the other people that "normalize" is not necessarily the best tool for the job.

Graham Bernard September 25th, 2008 07:42 AM

I agree too.

Grazie

Jason Robinson September 25th, 2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney (Post 942747)
How can I even out all of the audio in a project to be the same all the way through? I heard that normalize audio does this - but how do I use normalize audio?

I have often wondered this. What I found myself doing was playing through the entire production as fast as possible (4x) and watching the VU meter for peaks. unfortunately that was not change the lows to more closely match the highs. I had thought that normalization woudl take the lows and match them to the highs so there were not as many dramatic shifts in volume, but I was wrong.

Paul R Johnson September 25th, 2008 11:35 AM

I'm confused? Normalise is just a way of adjusting level to raise the track without adjusting dynamic range - just to make best use of the available range by looking for the one loudest bit, then raising the level of everything so this loudest moment is at or near to maximum. What people seem to want is a bit of dynamic range adjustment - to bring the lows up, but leave the loudest portions alone. So maybe a bit of compression, with the option of some agc, and maybe a limiter to set an absolute top limit are more important. Normalisation is great when faced with a track where it's been recorded too low - maybe as a safety feature - I rarely use it with tracks recorded at the correct levels. The only exception is when I discovered Soundbooth has a level adjustment on show next to the waveform that allows a variable normalisation in real time, and this can be quite handy at times. Delving into a menu is nowhere near as friendly.

Jeff Harper September 25th, 2008 12:02 PM

As has been said, the audo envelope is a great tool.

There is no instant, one-click solution for evening out audio and still having quality audio in the end, unfortunately.

Don Bloom September 25th, 2008 06:19 PM

Grazie,
Youare 100% right. My phrasing even led me to think it was in the track header. I was typing faster than my brain was working. Sorry! I did mean to say EVENT ot CLIP.
I really need to proof read before I submit. Once again, sorry for causing anymore grey hairs for you ;-)

Don