Rendering lossless avi and mov files in 16:9 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 1st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #16
Regular Crew

i must be missing something here...

1) if the output is for an animator, wouldn't it be more convenient to render in a square-pixel format? (1024x576 PAL WS)

2) shouldn't the colorspace be shifted to ComputerRGB on output since animated content is going to be overlaid?

3) the animator mentioned QuickTime, why not use QuickTime-PNG (lossless compression) or PhotoJPEG at 100%? Both are on Mac and PC.

I was thinking of something like:

QuickTime 7 Custom Settings
Frame Size: 1024x576
Rate: 25
Field Order: None
Pixel Aspect: 1.000
Video Format: PNG (or PhotoJPEG)
Compressed Depth 24bpp
Quality: 100%

...and possibly a levels or cc filter on output to shift the colorspace from YUV to RGB (StudioRGB to ComputerRGB).
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hey Mark,
I guess I'm reluctantly relieved knowing someone else is having the same issue as me. It would seem we're either doing the same thing wrong or it's an issue with Vegas. Other posters have rendered uncompressed widescreen, so I'm baffled. I've even tried different lossless codecs - huffyuv, lagarith - but without luck. If I find a solution, I'll let you know.

Glen
Glen Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Wow! Rob, thank you. It worked! It seems changing the frame size to 1024x576 and using square pixels has solved my issue.

I also understand that the PNG codec is visually lossless when the quality slider is set to 100%.

Just out of interest: if I render in studio RGB my colour range is going to be 16-235 in the render I output - regardless of whether I adjust my levels i.e make legal. But if I render with the computer RGB switched on i'll get 0-255, so I can let the animator deal with making everything IRE legal?

The other thing I wondered is that it seems a little stilted when played back in my quicktime player, is this just because it is a large lossless file? To test this I rendered a few seconds of my footage, put it back on my timeline, then re-rendered to an lossy mpeg just to see what would happen once the animator rendered out in the end, and it seemed to play back smoothly.
Glen Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I to am having a similar problem with rendering out to Avi from Vegas 8.c.
This is what I want.
I have a HDV 1440 x 1080i Pal timeline. I want to render this timeline out to uncompressed Avi 720 x 576 widescreen. It seems that every setup that I have tried to render this format to comes out in a 4x3 frame where all the footage is squashed into this frame. For some reason I cant get a 16.9 uncompressed Avi from a HDV timeline.
I have tried Rob Woods approach and this works but I don’t want quick time, or do I?
I want an uncompressed file so I can drag into Sorenson Squeeze and then compress to different formats

How do I do this?

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Ok I found out how to do it.
All you do is pick AVI for Windows then select Pal DV widscreen template and off you go.
I kept using custom settings and fooled myself into thinking this was harder.
But one thing is this really uncompressed as it looks like a bit of compression has occurred.
Uncompressed is what it is but is there a better way of doing this within Vegas to get the highest resolution possible?

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Nick,

I'm pretty sure that by using the defaults and not custom selecting 'uncompressed' you haven't got a lossless file. You might want to compare the size of your 4:3 uncompressed AVI and your widescreen one, just to check.

Glen
Glen Maw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...